"Error 3073: Operation must use an updatable Query" message for Update/Delete with CDaoDatabase / CDaoRecordSet

"Error 3073: Operation must use an updatable Query" message for Update/Delete with CDaoDatabase / CDaoRecordSet

Post by Alan Farme » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

I am converting an Access database and it's MFC C++ application to SQL
Server version 7.0.  I used the Enterprise Manager to import the existing
Access database into SQL-Server.  Now my SQL SELECT's and INSERT's work
fine, but the UPDATES and DELETES throw the above CDaoException error.

I've written a small demo app to test this problem, and it's consistent
across all tables.  The demo SQL is extremely simple: "DELETE FROM
Teams_Time_Card WHERE TaskID=700", for example.

I've noticed that queries like this work fine on the PUBS sample database
that ships with SQL-Server, which makes me suspect a setup/security issue
with my target database.  However, the queries work fine when using
ISQLW.exe, which makes me suspect an ODBC problem.

The connection string I'm using is:
"ODBC;UID=sa;PWD=;SERVER=Lear;DATABASE=teams2;driver={SQL Server};".  It
makes no difference who I log in as; all users / groups have the same
problem.

Another curious piece: I spent an afternoon severely tweaking the
rights/priviledges and nothing I did seemed to have any effect. I grant
everybody full access to the whole wazoo, and there is no perceivable
change.  I pull all priveledges, and for some reason everyone can still
SELECT and INSERT.  I suppose I'm doing it wrong, but it seems
straightforward to me.

Also, (I doubt if this is related) date-decorating is the same as in Access.
I was expecting to have to switch to quotes (as in '05/23/1999') but instead
found that I needed Access-style pound-signs (as in #05/23/1999#) -- at
least in the SELECT.  INSERT seems happy with either quotes or pound-signs.
I don't know about UPDATE or DELETE.  I don't really care what I use just as
long as it's consistant -- I'm only mentioning it here on the off chance
that it indicates some setup problem.

Any help you could throw my way would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Farmer.

1. "Error 3073: Operation must use an updatable Query" message for Update/Delete with CDaoDatabase / CDaoRecordSet

[...]

2. Can't set focus

3. Operation must use an updatable query 3073 - ODBC Error

4. Substr weirdness...

5. Operation must use an updatable query. (Error 3073)

6. Partitioned View Performance

7. Run time error 3073 -Operation must use an updatable query

8. PDox->Delphi; Three Questions HELP!

9. Error 3073 - Operation must use an updatable query

10. Error 3073, Operation must use an updatable query

11. Error 3073 : Updatable Query required

12. Error : "Must use an updatable query"