Packet Size for TDS

Packet Size for TDS

Post by Scott Skib » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00



Question:
 How do I change the TDS Packet size for an client workstation running nt
4.0 and sql server net client 7.0 libraries using ODBC as the
interface.

Best Regards,
Scott

--
SCOTT F SKIBA
Control Master Inc.
Phone: 908-735-9002
Fax    :  908-735-8902

 
 
 

Packet Size for TDS

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


 Scott - I don't believe you can without using ODBC calls - why do you want to
change it?

 >  How do I change the TDS Packet size for an client workstation running nt

Quote:> 4.0 and sql server net client 7.0 libraries using ODBC as the
> interface.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 
 
 

Packet Size for TDS

Post by Scott Skib » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


Neil,

 I have the packet size on the server set to 8192 ( as per SAP/R3 SQL tuning
recommendation). I assumed that you need to set
it on the client workstation as well. I am able to do this using the
connections option in SQL Query Analyzer. However, it doesnot
seem to have an effect in the right direction. My ethernet packet is 15XX
bytes, so I'm wondering why TDS needs to go any higher
than this.

Cheers,
Scott


Quote:> Scott - I don't believe you can without using ODBC calls - why do you want
to
> change it?

>  >  How do I change the TDS Packet size for an client workstation running
nt
> > 4.0 and sql server net client 7.0 libraries using ODBC as the
> > interface.

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  (Please reply only to newsgroups)
>  SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
>  forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
(sqlfaq.zip - L7
> - SQL Public)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
>  or www.sql-server.co.uk
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 
 
 

Packet Size for TDS

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00


 Scott - if you don't set it then current net-libs will pick it up from the
server setting.  Actual packet sizes are dictated by the network - i.e. 1500
bytes for Ethernet - TDS "packets" are done at a higher level by the
application.  You can't actually see these packets as they are split up into
physical network packets anyway.

 >  I have the packet size on the server set to 8192 ( as per SAP/R3 SQL tuning

Quote:> recommendation). I assumed that you need to set
> it on the client workstation as well. I am able to do this using the
> connections option in SQL Query Analyzer. However, it doesnot
> seem to have an effect in the right direction. My ethernet packet is 15XX
> bytes, so I'm wondering why TDS needs to go any higher
> than this.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (428 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq
 
 
 

1. Change the size of the TDS packet size

Hello.

  I am currently investigating the possibility of encreasing the
performance of an application that causes heavy network trafic.

  Can anyone tell me how can I change the size of the TDS packet the
client is using in its communications with the server?

  I am using Sybase A.S.E 12.5 on Windows 2000.

Thanks a lot.

Jorge Vergara

2. Access Query builder

3. How set TDS packet size in BDE.

4. Beyond SEEK()

5. Sybase TDS packet info?

6. How to restore using Standby option?

7. TDS Packets?

8. Scripting Logins - for ugrade of eval version

9. What's the best Packet Size Setting?

10. Network Packet Size

11. optimal packet size?

12. network packet size

13. packet size of 512 for Platinum (accting)