Failed to update custom rollup for cube levels

Failed to update custom rollup for cube levels

Post by Shirly Baruc » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:25:13

Hi,

We get the following error message when processing some of the cubes
(not all of the cubes):
Error(-2147221421): Internal error (Failed to update custom rollup for
cube levels);
Error(-2147221421): Internal error (Unexpected internal error (Cube
'License_Snapshots'));

The cube can not be opened by the Analysis Services Enterprise. The
error message is : Internal Error. Unable to open the cube. Try to
restart the application.

I restarted the Olap Service on the server but it did not help.

Thanks for your help,
Shirly.

Failed to update custom rollup for cube levels

Post by yan wang [M » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:52:25

Hi,
Were those problematic cubes archived from other olap server? If you made
the archive while the repository was in MetaData Services format, then this
error is by-design.  To get around it, you will have to migrate the
repository of the destination machine to either SQL Server native
(recommended) or SQL Server MDS.  By default, the repository is Jet MDB.

You may migrate OLAP Repository with Migrate Repository Wizard. To start
the Migrate Repository Wizard :

1.In the Analysis Manager tree pane, expand the Analysis Servers folder.

2.Right-click the server whose Analysis Services repository you want to
migrate, and then click Migrate Repository.

Such error may also caused by the corrupted olap repository. In this case,
migrate repository may also help.

Regards,
Yan
***This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
rights.*****

Failed to update custom rollup for cube levels

Post by Shirly Baruc » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:17:12

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the olap database is archived every day, but the repository is Jet
MDB both in the source and the destination databases.

Do you think that migrating the repository to MDS on both sides will
solve this problem? I know that this action is irreversible, do you know
any other possible solution that I can try before migrating the
repository?

I use the archive and resotre abilities in order to copy the OLAP data
between two servers. In that way we face a problem with the time that it
takes to copy the CAB file (~1 Giga) over the WAN.
Do you know a better way to do it?

Thanks again,
Shirly.

Failed to update custom rollup for cube levels

Post by yan wang [M » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:11:10

Hi,
So there are two olap servers and those cubes can be opened and processed
on source server successfully while got problem on the destination server
restored from the archived source database.   In this case, before you try
out the migrate repository from Jet to MDS or native SQL format, in order
to make sure this issue is not caused by the corrupted .CAB file (since
it's large ~1G), you may try with a clean-installed OLAP Server.  If this
works, you might need to reinstall your destination OLAP Server.

For the large .cab file issue, since in usual .cab file will include
cube/dimension structure plus aggregation data (assuming you're using
MOLAP, for ROLAP data is stored in SQL ), it's not necessary to archive the
data because data can be produced when processing the cube. As a
workaround, you may rename the database folder such as
'\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\Data\FoodMart' and do archive.
In that case , the .cab file will include structure only and will be
smaller. After restore .cab file to the destination server, you may need to
rename the folder back on both source and destination server  and  process
the cube on the destination server to generate the data.

Regards,
Yan
***This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no
rights.*****

1. Error:Failed to update custom rollup for cube levels

I'm running AS2K w/ SP1. My cube has no custom rollups, but when I try to
process, I get the following errors:

Error(-2147221421): Internal error (Failed to update custom rollup for cube
levels)
Error(-2147221421): Internal error (Unexpected internal error (Cube 'TRAN'))

I'm not able to edit the cube, either. When I try to open it, I get "Unable
to open cube. Unexpected internal error"

I've gotten this error at another site that did not have SP1 installed and
thought that might be the fix but never got to try it. Now I've negated that
hypothesis.

2. Client Server mail list

3. Custom rollup formulas and virtual cubes

4. Help! Migration to Sybase

5. custom rollup but in 1 cube only ?

6. Transaction safe Truncate

7. Local Cube using DDL with custom rollup.

8. version 4.2x graphical BCP

9. All level custom rollup formula

10. Problem with Custom rollup function on levels of Time dimension

11. Rollup of a Cube with lower level calcs

12. More complicated aggregation using unary operatos, custom rollup formula and custom member formula

13. Custom Rollups in Virtual Cube Dimension Levels