SQL Server 7 backup and recovery

Post by P Taylo » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

To move a database from my desk top to my lap top I backed it up on the
former and tried to restore it on the latter (using the device option (disk
not tape). I keep getting the following message:

The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different
sort order ID (53) than the one currently running on this server (52) and at
least one of them is a non-binary sort order. Backup or restore operation
terminated abnormally.

Any ideas, please?

TIA

Philip Taylor

SQL Server 7 backup and recovery

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Philip,

You cannot cross-load between different sort orders. Run sp_helpsort to see
the sort order.

Use Transfer, BCP or other tool to transfer the data, or make sure that the
servers use the same sort order.
--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

>To move a database from my desk top to my lap top I backed it up on the
>former and tried to restore it on the latter (using the device option (disk
>not tape). I keep getting the following message:

>The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different
>sort order ID (53) than the one currently running on this server (52) and
at
>least one of them is a non-binary sort order. Backup or restore operation
>terminated abnormally.

>Any ideas, please?

>TIA

>Philip Taylor

SQL Server 7 backup and recovery

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You've installed them with different sort-order options.  Once of them will
have to be re-installed to match the other.

Quote:> To move a database from my desk top to my lap top I backed it up on the
> former and tried to restore it on the latter (using the device option (disk
> not tape). I keep getting the following message:

> The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a different
> sort order ID (53) than the one currently running on this server (52) and at
> least one of them is a non-binary sort order. Backup or restore operation
> terminated abnormally.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp