EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by R. Park » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 04:38:08

I am running SQL2K with SP3 on Windows 2000.  Whenever I "right click"
on "Databases" in Enterprise Manager to "Create a new database", I can
name the DB and set it up...but when I press "OK", I get the hourglass
and look in Task Manager and see it is "Not Responding"...so I "End
Task" and go back in EM and it appears to have created the database
just fine! (Note: Created a new Database using the "Wizard" and it
didn't hang)

Also, if I "right click" on a existing Database and select
"Properties" and change the properties...same results...hangs (but
changes the properties when I go back in and take a look)!

Seems to be a "right click" problem!

Rebooted and reinstalled SQL2K SP3 with same results!

Any sugggestions?
Thanks,
R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by Yih-Yoon Lee [M » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:46:46

Hi,

What's the size of the database that you are trying to create?  If it is a
large size then you may need to wait.  When you create the new database, it
will first create the physical file and that could take a while depending
on the speed of the hardware.

Sincerely,
Yih-Yoon Lee
Microsoft, SQL Server

Subscribe to MSDN & use http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by Aaron Bertrand [MVP » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 05:50:13

What happens when you use CREATE DATABASE from Query Analyzer?

--
Aaron Bertrand, SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/

Please reply in the newsgroups, but if you absolutely
must reply via e-mail, please take out the TRASH.

Quote:> I am running SQL2K with SP3 on Windows 2000.  Whenever I "right click"
> on "Databases" in Enterprise Manager to "Create a new database", I can
> name the DB and set it up...but when I press "OK", I get the hourglass
> and look in Task Manager and see it is "Not Responding"...so I "End
> Task" and go back in EM and it appears to have created the database
> just fine! (Note: Created a new Database using the "Wizard" and it
> didn't hang)

> Also, if I "right click" on a existing Database and select
> "Properties" and change the properties...same results...hangs (but
> changes the properties when I go back in and take a look)!

> Seems to be a "right click" problem!

> Rebooted and reinstalled SQL2K SP3 with same results!

> Any sugggestions?
> Thanks,
> R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by R. Park » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:39:47

Quote:> What's the size of the database that you are trying to create?  If it is a
> large size then you may need to wait.  When you create the new database, it
> will first create the physical file and that could take a while depending
> on the speed of the hardware.

I am just trying to use the default settings...nothing big.  And when
I create a new database (default settings) using the Wizard or Query
Analyzer, it creates them FAST with no problems!
Thanks,
R.P

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by R. Park » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:42:41

Quote:> What happens when you use CREATE DATABASE from Query Analyzer?

Arron,

NO PROBLEMS...creates the new DB fast...no hangs.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by Aaron Bertrand [MVP » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:51:34

Quote:> NO PROBLEMS...creates the new DB fast...no hangs.

> Any other thoughts?

Yes, use Query Analyzer.  :-)

--
Aaron Bertrand, SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/

Please reply in the newsgroups, but if you absolutely
must reply via e-mail, please take out the TRASH.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by Mark Broadben » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:57:29

bit of a turn it of/on tip but ...
could try reinstalling client tools
try updating mmc (
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/management/mmc/ )

--
BR,

Mark Broadbent mcse+i, mcdba

Quote:> I am running SQL2K with SP3 on Windows 2000.  Whenever I "right click"
> on "Databases" in Enterprise Manager to "Create a new database", I can
> name the DB and set it up...but when I press "OK", I get the hourglass
> and look in Task Manager and see it is "Not Responding"...so I "End
> Task" and go back in EM and it appears to have created the database
> just fine! (Note: Created a new Database using the "Wizard" and it
> didn't hang)

> Also, if I "right click" on a existing Database and select
> "Properties" and change the properties...same results...hangs (but
> changes the properties when I go back in and take a look)!

> Seems to be a "right click" problem!

> Rebooted and reinstalled SQL2K SP3 with same results!

> Any sugggestions?
> Thanks,
> R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by Greg Linwoo » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:38:30

Do you have quite a few databases on the server?

If so, the EM refreshes them all again after loading the new database,
during population of the MMC left hand tree view (scope nodes). You can
confirm this by profiling what it's doing in the background.

HTH

Regards,
Greg Linwood

Quote:> I am running SQL2K with SP3 on Windows 2000.  Whenever I "right click"
> on "Databases" in Enterprise Manager to "Create a new database", I can
> name the DB and set it up...but when I press "OK", I get the hourglass
> and look in Task Manager and see it is "Not Responding"...so I "End
> Task" and go back in EM and it appears to have created the database
> just fine! (Note: Created a new Database using the "Wizard" and it
> didn't hang)

> Also, if I "right click" on a existing Database and select
> "Properties" and change the properties...same results...hangs (but
> changes the properties when I go back in and take a look)!

> Seems to be a "right click" problem!

> Rebooted and reinstalled SQL2K SP3 with same results!

> Any sugggestions?
> Thanks,
> R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by Richard Din » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:37:24

As a general rule, avoid using SEM whenever you can. Use QA to run scripts
instead of clicking through EM. The result could be amazingly different! I
only use EM when setting up Log Shipping and checking database size, and
some other stuff lightly.

Richard

Quote:> I am running SQL2K with SP3 on Windows 2000.  Whenever I "right click"
> on "Databases" in Enterprise Manager to "Create a new database", I can
> name the DB and set it up...but when I press "OK", I get the hourglass
> and look in Task Manager and see it is "Not Responding"...so I "End
> Task" and go back in EM and it appears to have created the database
> just fine! (Note: Created a new Database using the "Wizard" and it
> didn't hang)

> Also, if I "right click" on a existing Database and select
> "Properties" and change the properties...same results...hangs (but
> changes the properties when I go back in and take a look)!

> Seems to be a "right click" problem!

> Rebooted and reinstalled SQL2K SP3 with same results!

> Any sugggestions?
> Thanks,
> R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by R. Park » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:01:30

My thanks to all for your inputs.

I'll be looking into it further and post results.

R.P.

EM Hangs when Creating Database or Changing DB Properties

Post by R. Park » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:10:59

Well an update...

I just let EM run for a while after creating a new DB, fully expecting
it NEVER to respond.  But after 3 minutes and 15 seconds, it did come
back normally and show the new DB.  I did this from three client
machines and on the server...all with the same results

I am a newbie at this, but when I went to school AND on my Developer
Edition, the DBs were created in seconds from a right click.  I don't
have a lot of databases on the server other than NW, Pubs, and
MyNewDB... so I still think something is wrong with this... but it
DOES work so I'm leaving things alone.  EM can delete DBs in seconds,
but Creating or Changing Properties from a right click in EM takes
over 3 minutes.  And from QA there are no problems with Creating or
Altering DBs in seconds.

Again, thanks for the responses.
R.P.

1. EM Hangs on SQL Agent Properties

Hi all,

I have a weird problem.  I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, with SQL Server EM
2000 installed on my machine.  In EM, I have a number of SQL Servers
registered that I maintain.  For one particular server, a named instance of
SQL 2000 standard, if I right-click SQL Server Agent and choose Properties,
EM hangs and never returns.  Choosing another server and doing the same
thing and it works like it should.  I reinstalled Enterprise Manager and
reapplied SP2, and that didn't help.

Is there something I can do to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Casey Vanlandingham
Database Adminsistrator
Iowa State University

2. Requery listbox after delete

3. EM db properties page not updating

4. ERROR "Can't Open anymore Databases"

5. SQL 2000 EM hangs on database enumeration

6. How do I call a WPWin6.0 macro from PDOX for windows 5.0

7. making db changes through script rather than EM

8. Open string

9. EM database properties takes 25 seconds to appear

10. Enterprise Mgr Hangs looking at DB properties

11. MMC Hangs when creating new DB in SQL v7.0

12. change db-field properties using vb6

13. i restored one replicated database in another replicated db, and now cant delete publishers in EM