Newbie question - web and concurrent connections...

Newbie question - web and concurrent connections...

Post by Jame » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:19:28

Like the subject says - I'm a newbie with this stuff. I know pretty much
nothing about SQL.

I work for a small school system and we are preparing to install a new
student management program. It uses SQL Server 2000, and all the access will
be from the web. Basically, a school administrator can go in and look at a
student's records with this, and they are planning to have the teachers
enter their absentees, tardies, and so forth at the beginning of each class
period. So, several times a day we will have something like 50 teachers
entering their absentees within say, 5 minutes of each other. I haven't been
able to actually use the program yet, just see a brief demo. I assume they
will just pull up a class roll, check off the pupils who are present, and
submit.

My question is, do we need a SQL CAL for each of these 50 users? My
understanding is that we need 1 CAL for each concurrent access, meaning that
if only 25 people access it at a time we only need 25, even if 100 people
are actually using it. I'm just not sure how long each connection to the
server will last. Does that make sense? Do I need to know more about how the
app actually works or is it possible to come up with an answer with the
limited info I have available?

The real question we are dealing with is do we want to use CAL's or do we
want to purchase the 'per processor' version which I understand allows you
to have as many simutaneous users you need.

Any help, including suggestions as to where else I might look to find this
info, is appreciated.

TIA,
James

Newbie question - web and concurrent connections...

Post by Rick Sawtel » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 06:29:37

You may wish to contact the following:

1.  The company who is selling you the software package.
2.  Your local microsoft rep.

Since all access is web based, I think you can get a web access license for
about $2000.00 that allows web connectivity to some huge number of
simultaneous clients.

HTH

Rick Sawtell

Newbie question - web and concurrent connections...

Post by Alla » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:19:29

If you intend to access over the web then you must buy a processor
licence for each processor in the boxregardless of whether you have
said SS will use it  up to 16 and then > 16 processors you need only
buy licences for Processors that SS uses.

Processor licence negates the need to buy any other type of licence
for that box even if you are connecting using a client - server
architecture.

I would contact my MS representative for clarification.

Allan

>Like the subject says - I'm a newbie with this stuff. I know pretty much
>nothing about SQL.

>I work for a small school system and we are preparing to install a new
>student management program. It uses SQL Server 2000, and all the access will
>be from the web. Basically, a school administrator can go in and look at a
>student's records with this, and they are planning to have the teachers
>enter their absentees, tardies, and so forth at the beginning of each class
>period. So, several times a day we will have something like 50 teachers
>entering their absentees within say, 5 minutes of each other. I haven't been
>able to actually use the program yet, just see a brief demo. I assume they
>will just pull up a class roll, check off the pupils who are present, and
>submit.

>My question is, do we need a SQL CAL for each of these 50 users? My
>understanding is that we need 1 CAL for each concurrent access, meaning that
>if only 25 people access it at a time we only need 25, even if 100 people
>are actually using it. I'm just not sure how long each connection to the
>server will last. Does that make sense? Do I need to know more about how the
>app actually works or is it possible to come up with an answer with the
>limited info I have available?

>The real question we are dealing with is do we want to use CAL's or do we
>want to purchase the 'per processor' version which I understand allows you
>to have as many simutaneous users you need.

>Any help, including suggestions as to where else I might look to find this
>info, is appreciated.

>TIA,
>James

1. Web: Newbie question regarding importing form data from web into FM Pro 5.0

Is it possible to have a customer's info imported directly into a FM Pro 5
DB from a Web order form.  Here's the sequence:  customers will enter info
on a secure server, credit card will be processed via real time through a
payment gateway, then (ideally) the customer's record will be
automatically sent back to us and imported directly into our FM Database.
Is this possible to do without having to get the form data from an e-mail
file, then convert it before importing into FM?  I use a Mac with FM Pro
5.

Thanks,

Gary

2. select into???

3. Concurrent Batches = Concurrent Connections?

4. pro *C++

5. newbie question: connection to secure DB

6. Retrieving data from the Subscription

7. Maximum concurrent connections using connection pool

8. Many small tables vs. Few big tables

9. Newbie Question: Detecting connection with SQL server with ASP Error object

10. simple newbie question - writing a connection string

11. Newbie Connection Question

12. newbie internet connection question

13. Newbie Question concerning ODBC-connection to Oracle