Auto Level Member Count Times Out

Post by Loui » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I couldn't find my original thread.  somehow it disappeared so this is a
continuation:

due to the size of the source data, 70gigs, when i create a new dimenion it
times out when auto counting level members option is check on.  to get
around this i uncheck the check box next to "count level members
automatically", then i manually type in the number of members i think is
correct.  this works fine in all diemsnion but when i try to create a Time
dimension it loses it's hierarchy.  i've used the dimension editor and
pointed to the "Date" field four time and selected Year, Month, Week, Date
in the advance property tab but after processing i don't see the hierarchy
when browsed.

also, if i chose to use the wizard to create the Time dimension in stead of
creating it manually in the dimension editor, there is no option to turn off
the member count funtion.  is there a solution to this?

Auto Level Member Count Times Out

Post by ash_sharm » Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:00:00

This is a known issue in the dim wizard, and I would bet it'll be fixed for
the forthcoming SP1. However, I want to understand the scenario better.

Are you getting the date/time column from the fact table? If not, how many
rows does your time dimension table contain?

If you are getting the date/time column from the fact table, have you
thought about creating a dim table specifically for time, and referencing it
from the fact table instead? It might ease things if you didn't have any
transactions on Jan 1, but you still want to see that day show up.

In the editor, the problem is that you need to construct the SQL syntax for
the appropriate key/name for the year/quarter/month. See the member keys and
member name columns in the sample Time dimension in the Foodmart 2000 to get
an idea of what it looks like. The wizard automatically creates these
clauses for you, worrying about the quirks between different providers.

In the meantime, you have the option of creating a view or temporary table
with just a few rows, and the same structure as your time. Once you have
this, you can go ahead and change the dim table and fill in the right values
for member counts.

hope this is helpful,
ash

Quote:> I couldn't find my original thread.  somehow it disappeared so this is a
> continuation:

> due to the size of the source data, 70gigs, when i create a new dimenion
it
> times out when auto counting level members option is check on.  to get
> around this i uncheck the check box next to "count level members
> automatically", then i manually type in the number of members i think is
> correct.  this works fine in all diemsnion but when i try to create a Time
> dimension it loses it's hierarchy.  i've used the dimension editor and
> pointed to the "Date" field four time and selected Year, Month, Week, Date
> in the advance property tab but after processing i don't see the hierarchy
> when browsed.

> also, if i chose to use the wizard to create the Time dimension in stead
of
> creating it manually in the dimension editor, there is no option to turn
off
> the member count funtion.  is there a solution to this?

1. Unable to count the members of xxx level when adding a level

I'm running SQL Server/Analysis Server 2000 with SP2 applied on a Win 2000
Professional desktop.  When adding a level to a dimension, I receive the
following message:

Unable to count the members of xxx level.  Unable to open the record set.
Error: Timeout expired.

It happens every time.  I've even tried recounting the members from the
menus and it still happens.  It hits the hard drive for a minute or so
before the error pops up.

Any ideas?  I can't figure out where to increase the timeout value.

Tom

2. Capability not supported - What ? - HELP !!

3. Counting members timing out for time dimension

4. Help: Handling Data Control Errors

5. Dimension level member count problem

6. Design Tool?

7. Count members at each level of a dimension

8. Transpose in SQL

9. error counting level members whilst building dimensions

10. count level members error

11. Continual time-outs (time is not on my side)

12. Field names proprerty DAO in auto member list at programming time

13. Member count times out