Backup - Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) Error

Backup - Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) Error

Post by Jane Kell » Thu, 24 May 2001 03:26:52

We're getting the following error message when we do a dump trans:

"The Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) soft filemark database on backup device
'dbdevice' cannot be read, inhibiting random access. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error
3266)  Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000]
(Error 3013)"

What's odd about this is that, even though we do a dump trans every 30
minutes, it's only the one that is done at 12:00 noon that generates the
error. All of the other dump trans throughout the day run without error.

I would appreciate any ideas that anyone has on this error.

Thanks.
Jane Kelly

Backup - Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) Error

Post by sh » Thu, 24 May 2001 04:17:50

I don't know if this will work for you. I had a similar problem but with full
database backup job that 'overwrites' an existing file.

I had to add a step to my backup job that would run if an error were
encountered..the step used xp_cmdshell to delete the existing backup file then
restart the backup job.

hth

Quote:-----Original Message-----

.

Backup - Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) Error

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 25 May 2001 06:32:40

 Jane - anything different about the params on that backup job?

 > We're getting the following error message when we do a dump trans:

Quote:

> "The Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) soft filemark database on backup device
> 'dbdevice' cannot be read, inhibiting random access. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error
> 3266)  Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000]
> (Error 3013)"

> What's odd about this is that, even though we do a dump trans every 30
> minutes, it's only the one that is done at 12:00 noon that generates the
> error. All of the other dump trans throughout the day run without error.

> I would appreciate any ideas that anyone has on this error.

> Thanks.
> Jane Kelly

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. Backup - MTF (Microsoft Tape Format) Problem

Daniela -

Did you ever figure out what is causing this error to occur?  We're getting
the same error but what's odd is that, even though we do dump trans every 30
minutes, it's only the one that is done at 12:00 noon that generates the
error. All of the other dump trans throughout the day run without error. I
might repost this to the newsgroup to see if anyone has any ideas on it.

Thanks.
Jane Kelly

2. Job - Business Objects Consultants Chantilly, VA

3. Computed Columns

4. Microsoft Tape Format and Backups

5. Statistics problem?

6. Microsoft DMF Format - How to make backup?

7. Running Enterprise Manager on Server

8. SQL 7.0 tape backup - multiple tapes

9. Backup to Tape (New Tape)

10. tape backup waits indefinitely when no tape is in the drive

11. Backup to multiple Tape devices using a tape loader

12. Tape Backup system locks when dumping database to tape