DATA ENVIRONMENT in VB6 with SQL SERVER

Post by polyti.. » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:51:07

Hello,

I try to run a stored procedure in Sql Server through DataEnvironment
of VB6.
Parameters of stored proc contain Datetime datatype like 1/1/2001
12:30:00 or
0:30:00 for time interval. Unfortunately there isn't Datetime datatype
in VB environment and when I give the parameters (Field Date or Time
with the relevant Format) there is a syntax or running error.
What can I do about this? Do I have to make a User Defined DataType?

Thank you in advance!

Post by polyti.. » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:51:19

Hello,

I try to run a stored procedure in Sql Server through DataEnvironment
of VB6.
Parameters of stored proc contain Datetime datatype like 1/1/2001
12:30:00 or
0:30:00 for time interval. Unfortunately there isn't Datetime datatype
in VB environment and when I give the parameters (Field Date or Time
with the relevant Format) there is a syntax or running error.
What can I do about this? Do I have to make a User Defined DataType?

Thank you in advance!

DATA ENVIRONMENT in VB6 with SQL SERVER

Post by Anthony Faul » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:43:51

The VB6 datatype "Date" is equivalent to SQL's datetime. You can use the
CDate and Now functions to convert strings to dates.

One caveat: VB dates are notorious because they rely on the windows regional
settings of your client machine. If your settings are european then
CDate("1/2/03") is interpreted as 1 Feb 2003, whereas on a US machine it is
interpreted as 2 Jan 2003. On a japanese machine it could be interpreted as
3 Feb 2001. It's best to use ISO format to avoid this issue, e.g.
"2003-02-01".

Quote:> Hello,

> I try to run a stored procedure in Sql Server through DataEnvironment
> of VB6.
> Parameters of stored proc contain Datetime datatype like 1/1/2001
> 12:30:00 or
> 0:30:00 for time interval. Unfortunately there isn't Datetime datatype
> in VB environment and when I give the parameters (Field Date or Time
> with the relevant Format) there is a syntax or running error.
> What can I do about this? Do I have to make a User Defined DataType?

> Thank you in advance!

1. Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

I hope that someone may shed some light on why I am having difficulties.

Under Visual Basic 6 Enterprise, I opened Visual Basic project and created a
standard EXE project.  I added a Data Environment.  I chose "Microsoft OLE
DB Provider for SQL Server" as my provider.  I selected the Northwind
database.  I verified the connection via "Test Connection".

I used Data View to verify that the database was there and it was.  The
tables folder was there, however, there were tables to expand.  I tried the
same thing with another SQL Database and had the same results.

I repeated the above steps, except this time I chose "Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE
DB Provider" instead for an Access database.  I was able to view the tables.

I could also view the SQL Server 2000 tables via SQL Server Enterprise
Manager, so I know that the SQL Server database and tables exist.

My question is why can't I see the SQL Server 2000 tables using "Microsoft
OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" as my provider?  And what can I do to make
it work?

Could this be a configuration problem?  I was able to view the SQL Server
2000 databases and tables with the "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
 Server" working on another system that was running under Windows NT 4.0 SP
6 but DID NOT have Commerce Server 2000 installed.

This is the configuration for my "problem" machine:

Windows 2000 Server SP 1
 IIS 5.0
Windows 2000 Hot fixes
Visual InterDev 6 Enterprise SP 5
Visual Basic 6
     Add-In Manager
          Component Services Add-In for VB 5.0/6.0
          VB 6 Data Object Wizard
          Visual Component Manager 6.0