Fax from ASP/SQL Server

Post by Stephen Edward » Wed, 15 May 2002 20:12:05

Hi

I have built an ecommerce store for a client and they wish to have orders
forwarded to them by fax. Each order has information from a couple of
different tables - tblCustomer, tblOrders, tblOrderDetails, tblPayments.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can send a fax with all the order
information to my customer automatically and as soon as an order is placed
using SQL or ASP? I need to bear security in mind as the fax will have the
payment information on it.

I have tried asking a couple of different companies online but have had no
real response. I am now wondering if I am going to have to sub-contract the
job.

Thanks

Richard

---

Fax from ASP/SQL Server

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 15 May 2002 20:21:43

In SQL Server, there's an extended proc called xp_sendmail. You could have than send email which
is later forwarded by fax by the mail server. Problem is if you want this automatically as soon
as the order is put. That would require that you do the xp_sendmail from inside a trigger. But
the order affects several tables. Perhaps if you do the order through a stored procedure (a good
idea in any case), and have the proc perform xp_sendmail at the end.

I bet there are plenty of 3:rd party com objects that can send fax. My guess is that these would
be easiest to use through your ASP code, even though you also can use com objects through TSQL
(sp_OACreate etc).
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hi

> I have built an ecommerce store for a client and they wish to have orders
> forwarded to them by fax. Each order has information from a couple of
> different tables - tblCustomer, tblOrders, tblOrderDetails, tblPayments.
> Does anyone have any ideas how I can send a fax with all the order
> information to my customer automatically and as soon as an order is placed
> using SQL or ASP? I need to bear security in mind as the fax will have the
> payment information on it.

> I have tried asking a couple of different companies online but have had no
> real response. I am now wondering if I am going to have to sub-contract the
> job.

> Thanks

> Richard

> ---

Fax from ASP/SQL Server

Post by Darren Taf » Wed, 15 May 2002 20:47:35

Quote:> I have built an ecommerce store for a client and they wish to have orders
> forwarded to them by fax. Each order has information from a couple of
> different tables - tblCustomer, tblOrders, tblOrderDetails, tblPayments.
> Does anyone have any ideas how I can send a fax with all the order
> information to my customer automatically and as soon as an order is placed
> using SQL or ASP? I need to bear security in mind as the fax will have the
> payment information on it.

> I have tried asking a couple of different companies online but have had no
> real response. I am now wondering if I am going to have to sub-contract
the
> job.

I do this already for one of my systems (although there are no Credit Card
details).  We have a corporate mail system here which allows us to send
emails through the Exchange mail server (via a product from Fenestrae called
Faxination), so all I do us use xp_sendmail to send them.

I do NOT send the faxes realtime though - xp_sendmail doesn't seem to be
able to send more than 12 emails a minute and it can only be run 1 at a
time, so a concurrent attempt to send will be blocked until the first has
cleared.  I therefore created a "queue" - I now have 2 separate processes -
one to put the mail/fax into the queue, and one to take it out and send the
mail.  The mail sending queue runs all day and makes use of the quiet times
to clear the backlog (it never gets more than 15 minutes behind, as usage is
reasonably low at the moment).

I'm currently in the process of upgrading this though. I've written a
separate application which queries the queue and makes direct MAPI calls to
send the mail - throughput is now at over 200 a minute (way more than I'll
ever need).

darren

1. ASP and MySQL vs ASP and MS SQL Server 2000

Hmmmm what way do I go guys?  I'm an Oracle user at heart and have a modicum
of experience with both servers however I'd like to know if anybody has any
really good arguments for an against each server.

--

James Starritt

2. Oracle Transparent Gateways

3. Connecting to Sql Server from asp after upgrade from ms sql 7 to ms sql 2000

4. "CurrentUser" in ADP

5. faxing and SQL Server

6. Visual Basic 4

7. Sending a Fax from SQL server