HELP Needed - Heavy Load causing Sparatic Empty Result Sets (SQL 7)

HELP Needed - Heavy Load causing Sparatic Empty Result Sets (SQL 7)

Post by Sheldon Woo » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:20:36

Hey All,

We're experiencing a very bizarre issue with our SQL 7
server.
Here is our setup:

- SQL 7 Server
Microsoft SQL Server  7.00 - 7.00.1063 (Intel X86)
 Standard Edition on Windows NT 4.0 (Build 1381: Service
Pack 6)

- IIS 4 on NT 4.0
ASP pages using OLEDB to connect to SQL Server
MDAC version: 2.62.7400.1

It appears to be sparatically returning empty result sets
when the CPU usage
is very high.  Basically queries that should return values
will be empty,
reload the page a few times and then boom the results are
there.

The behavious that I'm seeing is consistant with:
us;Q230101

Any advice?
Thanks,
Sheldon

HELP Needed - Heavy Load causing Sparatic Empty Result Sets (SQL 7)

Post by Monic » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:42:25

check the size of the temp db.  It should be 20% of your
largest db.

Monica

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hey All,

>We're experiencing a very bizarre issue with our SQL 7
>server.
>Here is our setup:

>- SQL 7 Server
>Microsoft SQL Server  7.00 - 7.00.1063 (Intel X86)
> Standard Edition on Windows NT 4.0 (Build 1381: Service
>Pack 6)

>- IIS 4 on NT 4.0
>ASP pages using OLEDB to connect to SQL Server
>MDAC version: 2.62.7400.1

>It appears to be sparatically returning empty result sets
>when the CPU usage
>is very high.  Basically queries that should return
values
>will be empty,
>reload the page a few times and then boom the results are
>there.

>The behavious that I'm seeing is consistant with:
>us;Q230101

>Any advice?
>Thanks,
>Sheldon

>.

HELP Needed - Heavy Load causing Sparatic Empty Result Sets (SQL 7)

Post by sheldon woo » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:11:15

Thanks for the reply.

If the tempdb is not 20% of my largest DB I will see
trends like this happen?

Sheldon

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>check the size of the temp db.  It should be 20% of your
>largest db.

>Monica

1. HELP Needed - Heavy Load causing Sparatic Empty Result Sets (SQL 7)

[...]

2. ADO

3. need help transforming SQL Server results set in SQL

4. Data Environment Usage and Child Command Hierarchy Question

5. Result Sets easy one I need help need Asap Please guys

6. SQL syntax checker

7. help with sp which suffers under heavy load

8. DB permissions to use JRO.CompactDatabase

9. ODBC timeout when connecting from ACCESS 97 to SQL Server 6.5 (heavy loaded server)

10. Heavy load on SQL Server 2000

11. Empty Result Set from Stored Procedure?

12. unixODBC - Inline TDS Driver 1.6 - Data in result set is empty

13. Variable assignment when empty result set encountered.