call a user defined function from another user-defined function

call a user defined function from another user-defined function

Post by Yibing Wan » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:09:47

hi, there
can i call a user-defined function from another user-defined function. when
i tried to do so, sql server showed error message saying that "function_name
is not a recoginzed function".
please help.

--
Wang

call a user defined function from another user-defined function

Post by Jim Johnst » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:16:11

No you cannot.  Read in BOL about UDF determinism.  A UDF must be
deterministic ... i.e. it cannot use GetDate because GetDate is not
deterministic (It returns a different value everytime).  So I would
assume that the UDF you are calling from within your UDF is
non-deterministic.

V/R Jim Johnston
MCSD, MCDBA

> hi, there
> can i call a user-defined function from another user-defined function. when
> i tried to do so, sql server showed error message saying that "function_name
> is not a recoginzed function".
> please help.

1. calling access querydef that calls a user defined access function

I am using vb 4.0 and an access 2.0 database.  I need to call an access
querydef from my vb program. However this particular querydef calls an
acccess basic function that I wrote.  When I run from access everyting
runs fine. But when I call it from vb I get an error.  Is there anyway
around this?

I need to call the function because it performs a function that cant be
done in sql and I dont want to embed the sql code in my vb code.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa

2. Help with multi users

3. Can't use execute function in MSSQL user-define function

4. Has anyone used the mail feature to do scheduled emails

5. return datediff function from user defined function.

6. good experience with Ref.Integ. ?!?!

7. Built in function =user define function

8. Dump Databases > 70GB

9. scalar user-defined function require the function to be owner qualified

10. Instrinsic function inside user-defined function?

11. Instrinsic function in User-defined function

12. recovering user defined function which is now a system function

13. Mixed case function or How to create user defined function