Restore Master DB to db other than Master?

Restore Master DB to db other than Master?

Post by John Klaa » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We would like to run some queries against a MS SQL (6.5, sp5a) master db
from an 'out-of-service' server.  We have a copy of the original master as
SQL tape
backup.  Can we restore this tape backup copy to a database - say one called
master restore - on another server with same version as original.  Or can
you restore a master db backup only to a db named master.

Thanks
John Klaas
Data Administration
Babson College
Babson Park, MA
voice: 781-239-4585

Restore Master DB to db other than Master?

Post by Sergio Perez, DB » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You cannot restore a master db. You must rebuild it with the setup process.

Sergio Perez, DBA
FCG, Inc.

> We would like to run some queries against a MS SQL (6.5, sp5a) master db
> from an 'out-of-service' server.  We have a copy of the original master as
> SQL tape
> backup.  Can we restore this tape backup copy to a database - say one
called
> master restore - on another server with same version as original.  Or can
> you restore a master db backup only to a db named master.

> Thanks
> John Klaas
> Data Administration
> Babson College
> Babson Park, MA
> voice: 781-239-4585

Restore Master DB to db other than Master?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

John,
I never tried to restore master into some other name. I'd guess that it
would not be supported. So, unless someone else jumps in, I'd say: try, on a
test server...

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

> We would like to run some queries against a MS SQL (6.5, sp5a) master db
> from an 'out-of-service' server.  We have a copy of the original master as
> SQL tape
> backup.  Can we restore this tape backup copy to a database - say one
called
> master restore - on another server with same version as original.  Or can
> you restore a master db backup only to a db named master.

> Thanks
> John Klaas
> Data Administration
> Babson College
> Babson Park, MA
> voice: 781-239-4585

Restore Master DB to db other than Master?

Post by Chris Hung Nguye » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

SQL 6.5 requires a master db dump be restored to master db only.  On SQL 7,
it can be restored to any other db.  A test server with SQL 6.5 install is
probably your best bet.

Chris Nguyen