I have a 6.5 database and I import about 120,000 records each week. At the
moment, I do not delete any records, however I intend to delete all records
over two months old on a regular basis. The table I import into has three
indexes, one primary key (non-clustered) and two foreign keys (both
The process I use at the moment, is as follows
1) I do not use the Select Into / Bulk Import Option (performance is fine
without this additional risk)
2) I drop the three indexes on the table
3) I import the file using BCP
4) I recreate the indexes
My question is what do you think of this process, specifically,
1) the practice of having no clustered index, and
2) the drop index (including Primary Key), Import and Create Index routine.
On the initial timines I ran, if I use a Clustered Index it took a long time
to perform the import and also if I did not drop the indexes, it took a long
time to import the data.
I really just want to get your (Expert) opinions on the procedure I am
Thanks once again, I do appriciate your help.
Mark L. Breen
Solution Providers Ltd