SQL6.5 to SQL 7.0 using Data transformation services does not copy indexes etc over

SQL6.5 to SQL 7.0 using Data transformation services does not copy indexes etc over

Post by G Molliso » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone assist?
I am trying to transfer a SQL6.5 database to a SQL 7.0 database using the
DTS wizard unfortunately the wizard does not migrate table indexes, identity
columns and defaults.

I was not expecting any issues with migrating from 6.5 to 7.0
Maybe I'm doing something wrong
Parameters used:
Source: Microsoft ODBC  driver for SQL server on a remote server
Target: : Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL server on a local server
I have used both TC/IP sockets and named pipes with no difference.

Surely this is a standard request for at least SQL 6.5 to 7.0?
Does this mean I need to script it all?

G Mollison

SQL6.5 to SQL 7.0 using Data transformation services does not copy indexes etc over

Post by Kalen Delane » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

DTS only transfers a table at a time, unless you are copying a SQL 7
database to a SQL 7 database. There is a separate Upgrade Wizard to move a
whole database to SQL 7, but it is not part of DTS.

HTH
--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

>Can anyone assist?
>I am trying to transfer a SQL6.5 database to a SQL 7.0 database using the
>DTS wizard unfortunately the wizard does not migrate table indexes,
identity
>columns and defaults.

>I was not expecting any issues with migrating from 6.5 to 7.0
>Maybe I'm doing something wrong
>Parameters used:
>Source: Microsoft ODBC  driver for SQL server on a remote server
>Target: : Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL server on a local server
>I have used both TC/IP sockets and named pipes with no difference.

>Surely this is a standard request for at least SQL 6.5 to 7.0?
>Does this mean I need to script it all?

>G Mollison

SQL6.5 to SQL 7.0 using Data transformation services does not copy indexes etc over

Post by Wayne Snyde » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

As Kalen says, migrating is best done with the upgrade wizard... However the
Transfer SQL Server Objects  control in the DTS Package designer will
transfer indexes, just as you desire....

Additionally you can create scripts (in 6.5) with Transfer Manager Interface
(TMI)

SQL6.5 to SQL 7.0 using Data transformation services does not copy indexes etc over

Post by G Molliso » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Additionally you can create scripts (in 6.5) with Transfer Manager

Interface
This is the route I went down in the end . I'll also look at the DTS package
designer as well but at least I can do what I need to now!  I cannot use the
upgrade wizard as its a production system and we want to be able to go back
to 6.5 in case of  problems and I'd like to keep my job ;-)

Thanks anyway.

1. SQL 7.0 Data Transformation Services - Can not transfer all objects

Hello all,

I am trying to export data from one SQL 7 server to another. I am having
some trouble with the SQL 7 DTS.  From server A I can transfer all tables to
table B. But if I want to transfer all objects I run into some problems.

I have tried transferring using OLE and ODBC for SQL Server and get the same
results. The process will start, DTS will complete all scripting.
Enumerating objects to be dropped on destination occurs, and after objects
on destination DB the transfer fails.
I get this error

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Line 1: Incorrect Syntax
near 's'

Any tips on how I can fix this error on server A or how I can transfer all
objects?
Thanks
Kevin Swedberg
Northern Software

2. Identity seed - in Model?

3. Btrieve to SQL Server using Data Transformation Services and Data Direct ODBC Driver

4. Repost: WTB Older version of FileMaker for Windows

5. SQL Server 7.0 - Data Transformation Services - backing up?

6. Icons For FoxPro Apps

7. SQL 7.0 Data Transformation Services

8. initializing PreparedStatement for ' in ' sql syntax

9. Ann: Microsoft SQL Server DTS: Tips and Tricks Using Data Transformation Services chat

10. SQL6.5 not using Index - Building Temp Index on the Fly

11. Data Transformation from MS SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8.0 using DTS

12. Data transformation from SQL Server 7.0 to Oracle 8.0 using DTS

13. Using Data Transformation Services in web application