Learning SQL - going from Access to ODBC: Help!

Learning SQL - going from Access to ODBC: Help!

Post by Michael Maso » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Where can one find a tutorial/documentation for learning how to write
statements(queries) in  the SQL offered by ODBC? My goal is to create
Active Server Pages applications.

I have a good background in MS Access's flavor of SQL. I have the MSDN
library CDs, and own Visual InterDev; I've got LOTS of documentation, but,
for example, the doc's covering SQL in Visual InterDev seem to look at it
from a C  programmers point of view (including managing connections,
memory, etc), all of which is unnecessary for ASP.

A case in point - I can't figure out how to write WHERE clauses using the
Between... And operator in ODBC SQL, what deliimiters does one use for
literal dates? Access uses #m/dd/yy#.

I'm really stuck here, and would appreciate learning where to find that
documentation. Buying (yet another) hefty and $$$ computer book is
acceptable too, although I bet the answers are on one of these CDs I have
laying around.

-mm

Learning SQL - going from Access to ODBC: Help!

Post by Eugen Pava » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I always try the MS Query program to discover what is the correct syntax in
ODBC SQL. I make the QBE query and then have a look into the SQL generated
statement. I don't bother too much in generating these kind of queries
since I prefer using stored procedures (SQL Server). If your queries are
ad-hoc this is another story.
Regards

Quote:>Where can one find a tutorial/documentation for learning how to write
>statements(queries) in  the SQL offered by ODBC? My goal is to create
>Active Server Pages applications.

>I have a good background in MS Access's flavor of SQL. I have the MSDN
>library CDs, and own Visual InterDev; I've got LOTS of documentation,
but,
>for example, the doc's covering SQL in Visual InterDev seem to look at it
>from a C  programmers point of view (including managing connections,
>memory, etc), all of which is unnecessary for ASP.

>A case in point - I can't figure out how to write WHERE clauses using the
>Between... And operator in ODBC SQL, what deliimiters does one use for
>literal dates? Access uses #m/dd/yy#.

>I'm really stuck here, and would appreciate learning where to find that
>documentation. Buying (yet another) hefty and $$$ computer book is
>acceptable too, although I bet the answers are on one of these CDs I have
>laying around.

>-mm

1. help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,help,

Hi,
I have a small problem, and if you know the answer I would really be
thankful for your help.
I have an access database which is called "Client.mdb"
on a form, I displayed a dbcombox for the costumer's name
a textbox for the address
a textbox for the city
a textbox for the state
and a textbox for the zipcode

on all my textboxes and the dbcombobox I have set their Datasource and
Datafield properties to Data1,
when I run the program the information on the first record of the data shows
on the form,

but what I need to do is, when I change the costumer's name on the
dbcombobox (which displays all of the costumer's names on it) I want the
textboxes to show the address, city, state, and zipcode of the costumer I
have choosen,

Thank you in advance,
Enrique G Lugo

2. beginner problem with DTS and SQL Server 2000

3. Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,

4. Create new index on Foxpro table?

5. SQL To ORACLE Help Help Help Help Help

6. Mr Art Kagel

7. MS Access 97 SQL to MS SQL SQL SQL SQL

8. Question about Remote Data Module

9. Help!!!!!!!!!SQL Server Error2: ODBC SQL Server Driver(DBNMPNTW) Access Denied

10. Help!!!!SQL Server Error 2: ODBC SQL Server Driver(DBNMPNTW) Access Denied

11. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SQL Server Error 2: ODBC SQL Server Driver(DBNMPNTW) Access Denied

12. Access 97 to SQL Server 2000 Enterprise T-SQL ODBC help

13. Help!!!!!SQL Server Error 2: ODBC SQL Server Driver(DBNMPNTW) Access Denied