Does Developer Ed. have everything?

Post by Bret » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:57:23

Will the developer edition of SQL Server 2000 run on Win2k Pro? I think
does.

Does it have everything Enterprise has?

Can I have some one connect to my Win2k Pro machine and run an app (database
driven website) that uses SQL Server 2000 (Developer)?  Assuming I have a
website configured on the machine and access to it is available.  I've been
doing this on Win2k Pro with Eval Enterprise edition but it is has expired.

Thanks,
Brett

Does Developer Ed. have everything?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 08:24:55

Brett,

Dev Edi has everything. But the license agreement states that you are not allowed to run it in
production systems.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Will the developer edition of SQL Server 2000 run on Win2k Pro? I think
> does.

> Does it have everything Enterprise has?

> Can I have some one connect to my Win2k Pro machine and run an app (database
> driven website) that uses SQL Server 2000 (Developer)?  Assuming I have a
> website configured on the machine and access to it is available.  I've been
> doing this on Win2k Pro with Eval Enterprise edition but it is has expired.

> Thanks,
> Brett

Does Developer Ed. have everything?

Post by Bret » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:45:07

What do you mean by production system?

I'd like to be connected to SQL Server and possibly have one other person
connect.  Or, I could just disconnect and let the other person connect via
the website that uses SQL Server.  Would that work?

Thanks,
Brett

Quote:> Brett,

> Dev Edi has everything. But the license agreement states that you are not

allowed to run it in
Quote:> production systems.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

Quote:> > Will the developer edition of SQL Server 2000 run on Win2k Pro? I think
> > does.

> > Does it have everything Enterprise has?

> > Can I have some one connect to my Win2k Pro machine and run an app
(database
> > driven website) that uses SQL Server 2000 (Developer)?  Assuming I have
> > website configured on the machine and access to it is available.  I've
been
> > doing this on Win2k Pro with Eval Enterprise edition but it is has
expired.

> > Thanks,
> > Brett

Does Developer Ed. have everything?

Post by Jacco Schalkwij » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:23:51

Brett,

You are only allowed to use Developer Edition for development and testing
purposes, not for any application that is actually used for business
purposes.

In the scenario you describe with only a few users you can use MSDE, which
comes for free with all SQL Server licences, Visual Studio.NET and Office
Professional to run your application. For a few users you won't need the
features of Developer/Enterprise Edition.

Quote:> What do you mean by production system?

> I'd like to be connected to SQL Server and possibly have one other person
> connect.  Or, I could just disconnect and let the other person connect via
> the website that uses SQL Server.  Would that work?

> Thanks,
> Brett
> "Tibor Karaszi"

> > Brett,

> > Dev Edi has everything. But the license agreement states that you are
not
> allowed to run it in
> > production systems.

> > --
> > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> > Archive at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

> > > Will the developer edition of SQL Server 2000 run on Win2k Pro? I
think
> > > does.

> > > Does it have everything Enterprise has?

> > > Can I have some one connect to my Win2k Pro machine and run an app
> (database
> > > driven website) that uses SQL Server 2000 (Developer)?  Assuming I
have
> > > website configured on the machine and access to it is available.  I've
> been
> > > doing this on Win2k Pro with Eval Enterprise edition but it is has
> expired.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Brett

1. Differences between Developer Ed. and Ent. Ed.

I have 4 Win2K servers. 2 are running SQL2K Ent. Ed. and 2
are running SQL2K Developer Ed. I have the same exact
query accessing the same exact table (through JDBC and a
JAVA program). On the 2 Dev. Ed. systems, I get an
execution plan that does an index lookup, and uses the
values supplied in the where clause on the query, however,
the Ent. Ed. systems, do a "Convert" of the values in the
where clause of the query (the Dev. Ed. does not). This
causes the Ent. Ed. systems to run MUCH slower than the
Dev. Ed. systems.

Any idea why there is such a performance difference, and
execution plan difference between the 2 editions??
And, why does the Ent. Ed. convert the values in the where
clause, whereas the Dev. Ed. does not convert them??
Any idea how I can rectify this situation on the Ent. Ed.
systems? We need to implement this program into production.

2. Crystal report replacement

3. Cannot Change standard Ed. to desktop Ed.

4. Help Needed, using Paradoxwin 4.5

5. Upgrade SQL 7.0 from MSDN Ed. to Standard Ed.:

6. SQL Server (MSDE) Shutting Down Automatically?

7. Developer's Ed. - using locally

8. Open position, assoc. professor and researcher

9. P4WIN 4.5 Developer's Ed.

10. Installing SQL Server Developer's Ed.

11. Developer/2000 and Oracle8 Pers. Ed.

12. WTB: SQL Server Developer Ed. for $85

13. SQL Server Developer Ed. messes up IIS