T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

Post by Duane Dougla » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00



Hello,

Does anyone know all of the T-SQLcolumn name restrictions?  Any information
would be greatly appreciated.

--Duane

 
 
 

T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

Post by BPMargoli » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Duane,

You do not indicate which version of SQL Server you are using.

The following is from the SQL Server 7.0 Books Online:

"identifier:
The name of a database object. An identifier can be from 1 through 128


are not allowed. "


Quote:> Hello,

> Does anyone know all of the T-SQLcolumn name restrictions?  Any
information
> would be greatly appreciated.

> --Duane


 
 
 

T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00


...and you can't use a keyword as a (standard) identifier either.
Search BOL for ""Reserved Keywords"" for a list of keywords.
--
Tibor Karaszi
MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
Cornerstone Sweden AB
Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.


> Duane,

> You do not indicate which version of SQL Server you are using.

> The following is from the SQL Server 7.0 Books Online:

> "identifier:
> The name of a database object. An identifier can be from 1 through 128
> characters. The first character must be a letter, underscore (_), at sign

temporary

> are not allowed. "



> > Hello,

> > Does anyone know all of the T-SQLcolumn name restrictions?  Any
> information
> > would be greatly appreciated.

> > --Duane

 
 
 

T-SQL Column Name Restrictions?

Post by BPMargoli » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00


Tibor,

As usual, good point !!  :-)

BPM


> ...and you can't use a keyword as a (standard) identifier either.
> Search BOL for ""Reserved Keywords"" for a list of keywords.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi
> MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP
> Cornerstone Sweden AB
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.



> > Duane,

> > You do not indicate which version of SQL Server you are using.

> > The following is from the SQL Server 7.0 Books Online:

> > "identifier:
> > The name of a database object. An identifier can be from 1 through 128
> > characters. The first character must be a letter, underscore (_), at
sign

> temporary

spaces
> > are not allowed. "



> > > Hello,

> > > Does anyone know all of the T-SQLcolumn name restrictions?  Any
> > information
> > > would be greatly appreciated.

> > > --Duane