DB Sizes: SQL Server 6.5 Admin Question

Post by MisterPerk » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:50:23

Because v6.5 will not auto grow my databases, I have been monitoring the db
sizes then manually growing them as needed.  Fortunately I only need to grow
a few db's once per month or so.

I am investigating methods of automating the process of determining space
left in the databases.  By viewing the db properties in the Enterprise
Manager, a db might show 50 meg free.  When I use a sp_spaceused command in
Query Analyzer, I see the unallocated space and unused columns.  Both these
columns values are usually quite different than the amount reported in the
db properties in EM.

Which number should I trust?  Is there any other method, including writing a
new stored procedure, that I can use to report the correct number?

John Mull
Programmer/Analyst
Catawba County Government
Newton, North Carolina USA

DB Sizes: SQL Server 6.5 Admin Question

Post by chri » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 08:59:43

In my personal opinion, I would ALWAYS trust sp_spaceused over EM. (again,
my opinion)

> Because v6.5 will not auto grow my databases, I have been monitoring the
db
> sizes then manually growing them as needed.  Fortunately I only need to
grow
> a few db's once per month or so.

> I am investigating methods of automating the process of determining space
> left in the databases.  By viewing the db properties in the Enterprise
> Manager, a db might show 50 meg free.  When I use a sp_spaceused command
in
> Query Analyzer, I see the unallocated space and unused columns.  Both
these
> columns values are usually quite different than the amount reported in the
> db properties in EM.

> Which number should I trust?  Is there any other method, including writing
> new stored procedure, that I can use to report the correct number?

> John Mull
> Programmer/Analyst
> Catawba County Government
> Newton, North Carolina USA

1. MS SQL Server 6.5 DB Sizes, Backup/Restore times

We are developing two applications, using PowerBuilder on the front end,
MS SQL Server 6.5 DBMS, under Windows NT 4.0.  The first app is complete
and the database now has about 220 tables, and the size would be up to 6 GB
(when all the data is put).

The second app could add about 100 more tables, and an additional size of 4
to 6 GB.  If it were to be one database, it would be with over 320 tables
and up to a size of 10 to 12 GB.

One other fact is, there will be about 40 tables that both applications
will share.  Some of these tables are huge with over two million rows.

The question is, given the situation, should the whole thing be one
database, or split it into more than one?? What kind of database sizes that
MS SQL Server 6.5 is comfortable with?

Also, how about the backup and recovery issues?  If the whole thing has to
be one database, how long does it take to backup/restore the database?
Even if one part of the database gets corrupted,  and if we have to
restore, the whole thing needs to be restored, which I don't know how long
would take!

Please respond with your invaluable suggestions.  Thanks a bunch, in
advance.

2. FTP from Paradox

3. SQL 6.5 or 7 Remote Admin question.

4. SQL 7 Installation - Setup cannot configure the server

5. migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5

6. twz1jdbcForMysql-1.0.2-GA available

7. Using DTS to move data from a SQl-Server 6.5 DB (Newbie question)

8. "Error 0: Syntax error or Access Violation" with a Stored Procedure

9. SQL Server 6.5 Admin Activity Log?

10. Admin SQL-server 6.5 from a win95 machine

11. Administer a SQL Server 6.5 DB from SQL Server 7 Enterprise Manager

12. DB Sizing the Distribution Database - SQL 6.5