Dimension security question

Post by Bluetoot » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 23:30:21

Hi,
I have a cube with two measures: A and B. And a dimension with three
members: 1, 2 and 3.
Now I created a role (r) and I want it to see all members of the dimension
for measure A, but only member 3 for measure B:
1 A
2 A
3 A B
Is it possible to define with dimension security options?

Regards
Szymon Slupik, CDN S.A.

Dimension security question

Post by Rita Nikas [MSFT » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 05:46:52

Hi Szymon.

I'm looking into this issue for you. I hope to have more information by
Thursday 1/2, due to tomorrow's holiday.

Sincerely,

Rita Nikas, MCDBA MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

--------------------
| Subject: Dimension security question
| Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:30:21 +0100
|
| Hi,
| I have a cube with two measures: A and B. And a dimension with three
| members: 1, 2 and 3.
| Now I created a role (r) and I want it to see all members of the dimension
| for measure A, but only member 3 for measure B:
| 1 A
| 2 A
| 3 A B
| Is it possible to define with dimension security options?
|
| Regards
| Szymon Slupik, CDN S.A.

Dimension security question

Post by Rita Nikas [MSFT » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 13:19:07

Hi Szymon.

Yes you should be able to do this using Cell level security, using an MDX
formula similar to this one:

NOT ((Measures.B,[Dim].[1]) OR (Measures.B,[Dim].[2]))

The MDX expression that you write must resolve to true for those cell that
you want to enable. So, based on how many cells you want to enable or
disable, your MDX expression may be constructed differently.

Hope this helps

Rita Nikas, MCDBA MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

--------------------
| Subject: Dimension security question
| Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:30:21 +0100
|
| Hi,
| I have a cube with two measures: A and B. And a dimension with three
| members: 1, 2 and 3.
| Now I created a role (r) and I want it to see all members of the dimension
| for measure A, but only member 3 for measure B:
| 1 A
| 2 A
| 3 A B
| Is it possible to define with dimension security options?
|
| Regards
| Szymon Slupik, CDN S.A.

Dimension security question

Post by Bluetoot » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 23:53:56

Thank you for the hint. Cell security is the way to go.
BR,
Szymon

Quote:> Hi Szymon.

> Yes you should be able to do this using Cell level security, using an MDX
> formula similar to this one:

> NOT ((Measures.B,[Dim].[1]) OR (Measures.B,[Dim].[2]))

> The MDX expression that you write must resolve to true for those cell that
> you want to enable. So, based on how many cells you want to enable or
> disable, your MDX expression may be constructed differently.

> Hope this helps

> Rita Nikas, MCDBA MCSE
> Product Support Services
> Microsoft Corporation

rights.

> --------------------
> | Subject: Dimension security question
> | Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:30:21 +0100
> |
> | Hi,
> | I have a cube with two measures: A and B. And a dimension with three
> | members: 1, 2 and 3.
> | Now I created a role (r) and I want it to see all members of the
dimension
> | for measure A, but only member 3 for measure B:
> | 1 A
> | 2 A
> | 3 A B
> | Is it possible to define with dimension security options?
> |
> | Regards
> | Szymon Slupik, CDN S.A.

1. Dimension Security Question

Using the Analysis Services role managers, if I restrict dimension access to
one or more individual members, access is also granted to the ancestors of
those members. If I deny access to those ancestors via the Advanced tab, the
security rules will also deny access to the original allowed members, and
effectively the entire dimension. I can limit dimension access to a single
level, and then select specific members from that level, but that only works
when member names are unique for that level.

Is there any way, via either the existing role managers or DSO, to
unilaterally limit a dimension to a specific set of members, regardless of
dimension level, based on unique member IDs?

2. Failed to login with 'sa'

3. Questions about Progress

4. Advanced Dynamic dimension security question

5. Massachusetts - Oracle Pre-Sales Engineer

6. Dynamic Dimension Security - MDX Question

7. Progress performance: DOS vs. OS/2

8. Dynamic Dimension Security - another question!!

9. Application Security and NT Security Integration Questions

10. DUMB question: Standard security / NT security

11. Dimension Security

12. OLAP Dimension Security for a web-based application