Replicate with IDENTITY

Post by Olivier MATRO » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to replicate a table with an identity column on both the
publisher and the suscriber.
Is it possible to force the distribution task to use the SET IDENTITY INSERT
clause to avoid failure ?

Replicate with IDENTITY

Post by steve Robinso » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Olivier,

Have you tried using custom stored procedures for your insert statement?
You are getting into potentially dangerous ground here.  How will you stop
others insering into the table at the same time your replication is
inserting ?  This would cause the duplicates no matter what.
Is your Identity field key to your referential integrity ?  You may have to
look at using another field.  what we do here is append the branch code to
the identity value in a diferent field and dont replicate the identity
field itself- that way the the problem above is no longer an issue.

--
I hope this was of use.

Steve Robinson

1. Replicating with Identity columns

All of our main transactional tables have Identity columns on them.  We
are in the process of setting up replicaiton as a warm standby solution
using transactional replication (using SQL Server 7.0).  If we have the
replicating agent create the tables on the warm standby server (without
the identity property) replication seems to work fine.  The problem
comes up if our primary server crashes and we need to switch over to the
warm standby server.  At this point we need the identity columns turned
back on on the warm standby server so it can start generating new
transactions.  So my question is, how do you disable and re-enable
identity columns on a warm standby server?  What is the common practice
for switching over to your standby server when the primary server goes
down?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

2. ADO & Access

3. Reuse of Replicated DB when tables have IDENTITY columns

4. rank function?

5. replicating a NEW schema with identity column

6. HOW do I view the database/table I just created?

7. Identity not replicated in snapshot replication

8. NT/OWS setup problem

9. Remove Identity property from replicated table

10. New identities or defaults not being replicated

11. How to replicate IDENTITY field in 6.5?

12. Questions: Replicating Identity Data?

13. Cannot replicate due to Identity Column