Max. numbers of dimensions

Post by Marcus Milbic » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 20:32:31

Hi,

can anybody tell me what is the max. number of dimensions can be used in
one cube?
And what is the max. number of elements in a dimension?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Max. numbers of dimensions

Post by Chris Webb [MS » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 21:25:14

Hi Marcus,

See the BOL topic 'specifications - Analysis Services' for all this sort of
information. From here, the answers to your question:
1) Max dimensions in a cube = 128
2) Max number of elements (members) in a dimension = 2147483647

In practise, of course, these figures are way beyond what you would actually
use. 128 dimensions in a cube would be too confusing for any user to make
sense of, and if you were reaching this figure I would suggest that you
might have made a mistake with your modelling somewhere. As for the largest
dimensions, I'd be interested to know what the largest dimension ever
implemented with Analysis Services is; with a MOLAP dimension the practical
limit is 5-10 million members, and with a ROLAP dimension it can be much
more.

HTH,

Chris

--

Chris Webb
Consultant, Microsoft Services Switzerland

Microsoft Services Switzerland and our partners can help you with your
Analysis Services project!

Disclaimer: This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers
no rights.

Quote:> Hi,

> can anybody tell me what is the max. number of dimensions can be used in
> one cube?
> And what is the max. number of elements in a dimension?

> Thanks in advance,

> Marcus

1. Question re: max number of dimensions

Olap Services 7.0 has a limit of 64 dimensions per cube. Can someone confirm
that this applies not only to MOLAP but also to ROLAP?

Strange as it may seem we may have found a marketing application that is
*somewhat* suited to OLAP analysis, that would require significantly more
dimensions than that. My feeling right now is that it is not an OLAP
application, but some features of OLAP are very compelling in this context.

Thank you,

Ann-Grete

2. Must a numeric array be initialized?

3. max number of columns and max size of a table row

4. Oracle Graphics

5. Accessing MAX Existing member in dimension.

6. Very simple question (I hope)

7. Max. num of dimension members reached

8. Oracle processes size

9. Max number of dbprocs in DB Library?

10. SQL6.5: max. number of logins to add

11. Error max number configured user connections

12. Max number of concatenation string / nĂºmero maximo de co ncatenaciones de cadenas

13. Max of a number of fields?