Can't connect to SQL Server in Enterprise manager

Can't connect to SQL Server in Enterprise manager

Post by Abul » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:39:17

I am running SQL Server 7 on a Windows 2000 machine and I
want to register a Windows 2000 machine running SQL Server
2000 in Enterprose Manager of the 1st machine.

The error message I get when I attempt to do this is:

You must upgrade your SQL Enterprise Manager and SQL-DMO
(SQLOLE) to SQL Server 2000 (SQLDMO) to connect to this
server.

I do not wish to install SQL Server 2000 on the first
machine yet...is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Abul

Can't connect to SQL Server in Enterprise manager

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:49:51

7.0 EM cannot talk to SQL2K. No workaround, I'm afraid.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> I am running SQL Server 7 on a Windows 2000 machine and I
> want to register a Windows 2000 machine running SQL Server
> 2000 in Enterprose Manager of the 1st machine.

> The error message I get when I attempt to do this is:

> You must upgrade your SQL Enterprise Manager and SQL-DMO
> (SQLOLE) to SQL Server 2000 (SQLDMO) to connect to this
> server.

> I do not wish to install SQL Server 2000 on the first
> machine yet...is there a way around this?

> Thanks in advance.

> Abul

Can't connect to SQL Server in Enterprise manager

Post by Dan Guzma » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 22:34:50

However, you can use an earlier version of Query Analyzer on a SQL 2000
server.

Hope this helps.

> 7.0 EM cannot talk to SQL2K. No workaround, I'm afraid.

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> FAQ from Neil & others at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> > I am running SQL Server 7 on a Windows 2000 machine and I
> > want to register a Windows 2000 machine running SQL Server
> > 2000 in Enterprose Manager of the 1st machine.

> > The error message I get when I attempt to do this is:

> > You must upgrade your SQL Enterprise Manager and SQL-DMO
> > (SQLOLE) to SQL Server 2000 (SQLDMO) to connect to this
> > server.

> > I do not wish to install SQL Server 2000 on the first
> > machine yet...is there a way around this?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Abul

1. Enterprise Manager won't connect to Sql Server

I have SQL 2000 Dev. Ed. installed on a PC with Win 2000
Prof.  This computer participates in a workgroup.

I have Enterprise Manager installed on a PC with Win XP
Home Edition, also particiaptes in a workgroup.

When I try to register a server I use the IP address of
192.168.0.5 (which is the IP of the SQL Server) I get the
following message:

SQL Server registration failed because of the connection
failure displayed below. Do you wish to Register anyway?

Data source name not found and no default driver
specified.

I click yes to register anyway.  When I try to connect to
it I get the same message as above, "Data source name not
found and no default driver specified".

Does anyone have an idea why this may be happening?
Thanks in advance.

Bill

2. Posted on .programming and kinda serious

3. Enterprise manager won't connect to an alias, but will connect to an IP address

4. File Sharing PROBLEM in FPW 2.6

5. SQL 2000 Problem: Enterprise Manager can't connect remotely

6. TDBGrid onvalidate - what am i doing wrong

7. SQL Enterprise manager can't connect - previously working

8. dbi problem?

9. How to connect to a SQL 6.5 Server via SQL 7.0 Enterprise Manager

10. Connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server over ISA Firewall with SQL Enterprise Manager

11. HELP: SQL Enterprise Manager not connecting to SQL Server

12. trouble connecting to SQL server through Enterprise manager

13. Enterprise Manager not connecting to sql server