Transaction log fills up

Post by Scott Nicho » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>Hello SQL users,
>Who can help me with the following,
>We are using sql 6.5 for an imaging program.
>The problem is that when we make a dump of the database, the transaction
log
>is not automatically cleared.
>As a result, the users are not able to log in because the transaction log
>fills up.Please inform me when you have a solution to this problem.Thank
you
>in advance.

You can

1. Dump the log to some real device.  You might do this periodically between
database dumps.
2. Dump the log with no_log or truncate_only.  You would do this when you
dump the database.
3. Set the database for trunc. log on chkpt.  This means you can only
recover to your last database dump.

You must determine how important the recovery of your data is to decide
which is right for you.
--
Scott Nichol
e-mail: Remove nospam. from reply address.

1. transaction log filling up and transaction replication

Our transaction log is filling up on the server being replicated to
(subscriber). We tried to backup the db, but it never seems to reach a
checkpoint. I was able to truncate the log, but of course that hosed
replication. What is the strategy for preventing the log from filling up.
Right now we have the db and log set to grow.

Thoughts,
Geoffrey

2. segmentation violation

3. transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal

4. default values + some other little bits n' pieces

5. Transaction Log Filling Up...HELP!!

6. Connecting to SQL Server databases from an OS/2 platform

7. Help - Queries filling transaction log

8. Ado persist xml does not provide KeyColumn information

9. transaction log backup filling drive

10. Transaction log fills up

11. Transaction Log fills up too fast on ALTER COLUMN script

12. Transaction Logs Filling up

13. not filling up the transaction log