Setting priority based on SQL Login name?

Setting priority based on SQL Login name?

Post by Knut E. Meida » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Is there any way in SQL Server 7.0 to prioritize which users get their
queries processed?

Let's say login user1 will always get their queries processed before user2
gets processed, EVEN IF user2's query was submitted before user1's query?
(This assumes there is a certain backlog of queries)

Is this at all possible? Or is is always a 'first come-first served' basis?

A simple 'no' will suffice, but a 'yes' would need a bit of explaining...

Thanks in advance
Knut Meidal
Icon Medialab Norway

Setting priority based on SQL Login name?

Post by BP Margoli » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Knut,

Sorry, but the answer is indeed a simple no. SQL Server does not support
query prioritization.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Is there any way in SQL Server 7.0 to prioritize which users get their
> queries processed?

> Let's say login user1 will always get their queries processed before user2
> gets processed, EVEN IF user2's query was submitted before user1's query?
> (This assumes there is a certain backlog of queries)

> Is this at all possible? Or is is always a 'first come-first served'
basis?

> A simple 'no' will suffice, but a 'yes' would need a bit of explaining...

> Thanks in advance
> Knut Meidal
> Icon Medialab Norway

Setting priority based on SQL Login name?

Post by Allan Mitchel » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:00:00

AAHHH
This is the question the senior DBA asks me without fail every week I
tell him the same answer every week too
NO. =:-(

Allan

--

Allan Mitchell
MCSE

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. One Login Name vs. Multple Login Names

Hi group,

I have an application which connects to SQL Server 7.0. Although users have
different permissions, I use one Login Name to connect to the database for
all of them, and manually manage the permissions. Number of concurrent
connections therfore using the same login name could reach up to 50.

I am wondering if using the same login name affects the performance of the SQL
server. Would it be more effecient to use different login names giving that
everything else is equal?

- Khalid

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Data Control "No Current record"

3. SQL-Server Login using NT Login Name

4. Unidata / Interactive's Infoflo

5. set permissioins based on Sybase login ID and IP address

6. Using assertions in sprocs

7. setting priority for a heavy sql statement

8. Dataenvironment and multiple tables Access DB

9. Setting Processor priority for SQL Server

10. Setting a process priority in a SQL pass through query from MS Access

11. Select based on a certain priority?

12. Replicatoin-Date not Priority Based

13. Requery Combo Produces SQL Login when based on Passthrough