Win98/MSDE Merge Replication Always reinitializes subscription (Anonymous)

Win98/MSDE Merge Replication Always reinitializes subscription (Anonymous)

Post by Kevin Alon » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I have a central SQL Server 7 DB (sp2) running on NT 4.0 (sp6a).  I have one
subscription configured to allow Anonymous connections.  The Anonymous
subscriptions are located on Win98 laptops running MSDE (sp2 installed).
The remote MSDE database was created by attaching SQL Server 7 (sp2) desktop
database files (running on NT 4.0 workstation (sp6a).  The subscription
merge is initiated from a VB application (using the SQLMerge object).  This
all works great on the NT workstation running NT and desktop SQL Server (LAN
connectivity).  It also works fine from the Win98/MSDE laptop over a dial-up
connection, unless the <subscription>.ReInitializeSubscription method is
invoked.  Then any further merge replication method calls (from the client)
actually accomplish a complete Reinitialize (a snapshot replication is
accomplished instead of a merge replication).  Any ideas???  Any help would
be appreciated!

--
Kevin Alons

Post by Kevin Alon » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I solved my own problem.  Do NOT install MSDE from the O2K PRO cd (on
Win9x).  It will give the error below.  If installed from the downloadable
file from the MS website it works normally (msdex86.exe).

Kevin

> I have a central SQL Server 7 DB (sp2) running on NT 4.0 (sp6a).  I have
one
> subscription configured to allow Anonymous connections.  The Anonymous
> subscriptions are located on Win98 laptops running MSDE (sp2 installed).
> The remote MSDE database was created by attaching SQL Server 7 (sp2)
desktop
> database files (running on NT 4.0 workstation (sp6a).  The subscription
> merge is initiated from a VB application (using the SQLMerge object).
This
> all works great on the NT workstation running NT and desktop SQL Server
(LAN
> connectivity).  It also works fine from the Win98/MSDE laptop over a
dial-up
> connection, unless the <subscription>.ReInitializeSubscription method is
> invoked.  Then any further merge replication method calls (from the
client)
> actually accomplish a complete Reinitialize (a snapshot replication is
> accomplished instead of a merge replication).  Any ideas???  Any help
would
> be appreciated!

> --
> Kevin Alons

1. Reinitialize Subscriber of an anonymous Pull Merge Replication

Hello everyone !

We have setup an anonymous pull merge replication with about 120
subscribers. We are using SQLServer 7.0 SP2 and MSDE 1.0 SP2.

We need now to reinitialize all subscribers in one step.  Does anybody have
an idea how to do that ?

I have tried to use the Enterprise Manager and give the
"ReinitializeAllSubscribers" to the publication without any success.

Any help is appreciated

Hassan El Manfalouty

2. line count in sql tables

3. How to remove an article from a merge publication without reinitialize subscriptions

4. suggestion

5. Anonymous Merge Pull Subscription Problem

6. INSERTs and arrays w/ ODBC

7. Pull Merge subscription using anonymous

8. Oracle DBA Experience (need for)

9. Stopping SQL server Merge agent for anonymous subscription

10. anonymous merge subscription - HELP

11. Problem when reinitializing a replication subscription.

12. Anonymous Subscription to Merge Publication

13. Can you use XP with anonymous merge subscriptions?