Renaming Server name - Impact on local NT group Sql IDs

Renaming Server name - Impact on local NT group Sql IDs

Post by tra » Fri, 03 May 2002 23:59:14

Hi,

After renaming Windows 2000 server running Sql Server 2000,
sP_dropserver and sp_addserevr to new name. Restarted the sql service.
But still the Sql logins that are using local windows Nt groups were
referring OLD server name (OLDSERVER\loginid) . Do we need to drop the
master logins and replace the OLD with new? We are using local Windows
NT grups as sql server login. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Renaming Server name - Impact on local NT group Sql IDs

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Sat, 04 May 2002 00:26:45

No, you don't have to drop and recreate those logins, if you don't mind
seeing the old server name. I assume, you are still able to connect using
those logins. In case of any problems/errors post more information.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

Quote:> Hi,

> After renaming Windows 2000 server running Sql Server 2000,
> sP_dropserver and sp_addserevr to new name. Restarted the sql service.
> But still the Sql logins that are using local windows Nt groups were
> referring OLD server name (OLDSERVER\loginid) . Do we need to drop the
> master logins and replace the OLD with new? We are using local Windows
> NT grups as sql server login. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Renaming Server name - Impact on local NT group Sql IDs

Post by tra » Sun, 05 May 2002 03:43:56

The logins with the old server name prefix may be confusing later.
Otherwise it will work fine. Thanks for the quick response.

> No, you don't have to drop and recreate those logins, if you don't mind
> seeing the old server name. I assume, you are still able to connect using
> those logins. In case of any problems/errors post more information.
> --
> HTH,
> Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

> http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

> > Hi,

> > After renaming Windows 2000 server running Sql Server 2000,
> > sP_dropserver and sp_addserevr to new name. Restarted the sql service.
> > But still the Sql logins that are using local windows Nt groups were
> > referring OLD server name (OLDSERVER\loginid) . Do we need to drop the
> > master logins and replace the OLD with new? We are using local Windows
> > NT grups as sql server login. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1. Relationship between sql server , local machine and Domain groups and ids

In the the sql administrators companion there is a chapter on managing security.
This I am trying to understand as related to our environment.

We are looking at having multiple domains a federal domain and
then departmental domains, there will be some trusting between them
but it has not been fully decided whether its full trust both ways
or just one way or both ways partial.

The administrators of the federal domains will not be allowed
be allowed sa privileges on our sql server which is in the federal domain
, nor will they or others be allowed sa priviliges in our departmental sql
server. The manual says
'create one administrator-level group and one or more user-level groups for
the accounts that will access sql-server.....'

are they talking about sqlserver groups, local machine groups, or
domain groups?

When I use sql security manager I for users I can see just 1 group
Domainname (that the machine is in, not default domain as set in enterprise manager
for that database)/Domain Users. I can then click on this group and select users
independantly. I cant see any other groups, should I be able to? how do
I enable sql security manager to see these other groups?

If there is a trust relationship with another domain should I be able to select
users from the other domain and make it so they can connect to sql server.

We are using mixed security.
Anne

2. Updated version of MSDE 1.0????

3. NT Access to Local Groups w/Global IDs

4. error 37000 syntax error or access violation

5. Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

6. Bangkok-96: Last CFP

7. renaming nt server with sql 7 loaded with original name

8. Variable declaration in views

9. How to rename dimension name from tabel name( local cube)

10. Howto Rename Local Server to a Named Instance (2000)

11. Server to change name - what impact to SQL Server

12. using windows NT Server Local groups