MDAC 2.0 & 2.1 V MDAC 1.5

Post by Bill Butto » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

When running MDAC 2.0 or 2.1 on IIS 4.0 the speed of accessing Access or SQL
data fall's through the floor, a report that used to take 16 seconds would
take 2 mins 43 seconds. Having spoken to Microsoft I have had to revert to
MDAC 1.5 and this was not easy. However this now leaves me with the problem
of Access 2000 and SQL 7.0. I have heard tale of a mythical version 2.2 from
the support person at Microsoft however no one seams to know how to get hold
of it or even if it does exist.

Is it possible to :

1) Fix the speed Issues with MDAC 2.1 or MDAC 2.0
2) Get hold of the Mythical MDAC 2.2
3) Get MDAC 1.5 to work with SQL 7.0 and Access 2000.
4)Are these issues resoved with Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0.

Bill Button
Technical Manager
Pathtrace PLC (UK)

MDAC 2.0 & 2.1 V MDAC 1.5

Post by Neil Davidso » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

There is an MDAC 2.5 out now at

http://www.microsoft.com/data/

Quote:> When running MDAC 2.0 or 2.1 on IIS 4.0 the speed of accessing Access or
SQL
> data fall's through the floor, a report that used to take 16 seconds would
> take 2 mins 43 seconds. Having spoken to Microsoft I have had to revert to
> MDAC 1.5 and this was not easy. However this now leaves me with the
problem
> of Access 2000 and SQL 7.0. I have heard tale of a mythical version 2.2
from
> the support person at Microsoft however no one seams to know how to get
hold
> of it or even if it does exist.

> Is it possible to :

> 1) Fix the speed Issues with MDAC 2.1 or MDAC 2.0
> 2) Get hold of the Mythical MDAC 2.2
> 3) Get MDAC 1.5 to work with SQL 7.0 and Access 2000.
> 4)Are these issues resoved with Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0.

> Bill Button
> Technical Manager
> Pathtrace PLC (UK)

MDAC 2.0 & 2.1 V MDAC 1.5

Post by Bill Butto » Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have tried the MDAC 2.5 and it is no better the 2.0 or 2.1 the speed
compaired to the MDAC 1.5 is 10 times slower.

Bill

> There is an MDAC 2.5 out now at

> http://www.microsoft.com/data/

> > When running MDAC 2.0 or 2.1 on IIS 4.0 the speed of accessing Access or
> SQL
> > data fall's through the floor, a report that used to take 16 seconds
would
> > take 2 mins 43 seconds. Having spoken to Microsoft I have had to revert
> > MDAC 1.5 and this was not easy. However this now leaves me with the
> problem
> > of Access 2000 and SQL 7.0. I have heard tale of a mythical version 2.2
> from
> > the support person at Microsoft however no one seams to know how to get
> hold
> > of it or even if it does exist.

> > Is it possible to :

> > 1) Fix the speed Issues with MDAC 2.1 or MDAC 2.0
> > 2) Get hold of the Mythical MDAC 2.2
> > 3) Get MDAC 1.5 to work with SQL 7.0 and Access 2000.
> > 4)Are these issues resoved with Windows 2000 and IIS 5.0.

> > Bill Button
> > Technical Manager
> > Pathtrace PLC (UK)

MDAC 2.0 & 2.1 V MDAC 1.5

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 05 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Bill - MDAC 2.5 is out now and is supposed to be faster than all previous
versions...

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (420 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

MDAC 2.0 & 2.1 V MDAC 1.5

Post by Tibor Karasz » Mon, 06 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Bill,

I suggest that you use SQLTrace/Profiler to see what TSQL code the MDAC
layer is submitting.

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I have tried the MDAC 2.5 and it is no better the 2.0 or 2.1 the speed
> compaired to the MDAC 1.5 is 10 times slower.

> Bill

1. MDAC 2.0 Vs MDAC 2.1 - Compatibility Issues.

Folks,
            I recently developed an Client Server App. (VB 6.0) that uses
Mdac 2.1 on to a Server and Replication Stopped. (Failed at Login !!)

I already had to contend with using MSDASQL instead of  SQLOLEDB to ensure
connectivity to SQL server Version 6.0 in a Data Class that I built. We
still have many servers running SQL Server 6.0 and 6.5

I made a Decision to go with the latest versions of Mdac Components because
we are moving to Oracle and I see a potential of having different Back End
Database Platforms to deal with in the near future.

What are the issues one has to contend with ? As it is, alot of Client PCs
will be installed with products from the Office 2000 Suite and they do
install data Access components that I know for sure will Mess up the
environment. (I recently upgraded Outlook 97 to Outlook 2000 and that
created a few Hiccups.)

What are the Issues with Mdac that I need to know about Mdac and
Compatibility with other Versions or Gigs running out there ?

Cheers.

MLJ

2. ODSOLE Extended Procedure

3. MDAC 2.1 to MDAC 2.0

4. Newbie question: Java & MySQL

5. ODBC Drive returns records using MDAC 2.0 but not MDAC 2.1 SP 2

6. Passing Parameters to Access 97

7. MDAC 1.5 and 2.1 give different results on ODBC ORDER BY

8. What approach should I take ?

9. MDAC 2.1 vs MDAC 2.5?

10. MDAC 2.0 vs 2.1 or 2.5

11. MDAC 2.6 on the Server and MDAC 2.1 on the Client - Big Problems

12. HELP: MDAC 2.1 and MDAC 2.5

13. MDAC 2.6 on the Server and MDAC 2.1 on the Client - Big Problems