Fulltext and Ignored words

Post by Jeff J Czyzewsk » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I hope someone can help with this one. I have a full text index on a table
and in my query I am performing a contains search for a particular phrase.
I've encounterd a problem that if someone search for a title that has all
ignored words the query fails. Is there a way around this?

Here is an example:

Some is searching for "Way of the"

My query is - Select headline, body from news where contains(body, " 'way of
the' ")

I get an error that states my query contains all ignored words. Is "way" an
ignored word? How can I avoid this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Fulltext and Ignored words

Post by Kalen Delane » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

There is a file containing the noise words, in your SQL Server directory,
under ftdata\SQLServer\Config.
There is a separate noise word file for each supported language. They are
all just text files, and you can easily edit them.
The one for English is noise.enu is for US English. You can add or remove
words as you like.

HTH

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

Quote:> I hope someone can help with this one. I have a full text index on a table
> and in my query I am performing a contains search for a particular phrase.
> I've encounterd a problem that if someone search for a title that has all
> ignored words the query fails. Is there a way around this?

> Here is an example:

> Some is searching for "Way of the"

> My query is - Select headline, body from news where contains(body, " 'way
of
> the' ")

> I get an error that states my query contains all ignored words. Is "way"
an
> ignored word? How can I avoid this?

> Thanks,

> Jeff

Fulltext and Ignored words

Post by Jeff J Czyzewsk » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Problem is, doesn't that control the entire database server? I'm using my
ISP's database so I can't neccessarily change that file. Any other ways if
this is true?

Jeff

> There is a file containing the noise words, in your SQL Server directory,
> under ftdata\SQLServer\Config.
> There is a separate noise word file for each supported language. They are
> all just text files, and you can easily edit them.
> The one for English is noise.enu is for US English. You can add or remove
> words as you like.

> HTH

> --
> Kalen Delaney
> MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
> www.InsideSQLServer.com
> Feed Someone for Free Today:
>      www.TheHungerSite.com

> > I hope someone can help with this one. I have a full text index on a
table
> > and in my query I am performing a contains search for a particular
phrase.
> > I've encounterd a problem that if someone search for a title that has
all
> > ignored words the query fails. Is there a way around this?

> > Here is an example:

> > Some is searching for "Way of the"

> > My query is - Select headline, body from news where contains(body, "
'way
> of
> > the' ")

> > I get an error that states my query contains all ignored words. Is "way"
> an
> > ignored word? How can I avoid this?

> > Thanks,

> > Jeff

1. Fulltext Query in SQL7 with NO ignored words

Hi,

is it possible to remove the "feature" of ignored words at all?
I removed all the words from the stoplists, but still its not possible
to search for "stevie b" for example. I don't wont to remove any words
at all.
On the other hand, as soon as one single characte is in the query like
Contains(Artist, 'Stevie AND b') it gives me "Only ignored words" - but
"Stevie" is not ignored!

Thanks,
Gregor Walter

2. Normalization

3. Fulltext: Ignored Words

4. problems with timestamp data type

5. FTS ignoring single-letter words not in noise word file

6. Problem with a constraint

7. FullText ignores one digit numbers

8. Overflow when converting from dec(19,10) to int

9. Fulltext indexes and noise words

10. sql fulltext does not search for national words

11. Fulltext on MS Word document

12. Limiting result words from a fulltext search

13. Fulltext problem with >composed< words