HELP - cannot start SQL server service - Internal NT error

HELP - cannot start SQL server service - Internal NT error

Post by Pam » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

This is going to be somewhat long and I apologize in advance, but we have a
SQL Server with 15 critical databases which will not start.

Someone added a second processor to our SQL Server last week, but it wasn't
recognizing it.  That person did some research and found that you had to
run a utility found in the NT Resource Kit called Uptomp.exe to have NT
3.51 recognize the second processor.  After running that he basically came
up with a death blue screen.  He tried running the emergency repair disk,
etc. but could not get it to work.

I suggested we upgrade to NT 4.0 (we needed to do it sometime anyway) -
that actually sort of worked - it recognized both processors and we finally
got the right drivers for the NIC card, etc.  The problem is when we try
and start the SQL Server service, it says an "Internal Windows NT error
occurred" - we tried performing an upgrade to SQL server, but when it gets
about 90% through and it tries to start the sql server service we get an
error also.

Does anybody have any ideas of what to try?

Thanks in advance,
Pam

HELP - cannot start SQL server service - Internal NT error

Post by Todd Steven » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Your message didn't specify which version of SQL server you are using, I
will assume 6.0 as you mentioned you attempted to upgrade.

The first thing I would try is rebuilding the SQL server registry entries,
they might have been disturbed after the move to NT 4.0.  To rebuild the
registry without reinstalling SQL Server from scratch use the SETUP /t
RegistryRebuild=ON from the \BINN directory.  It will ask you all the basic
setup questions, answer them the same as you did when you originally setup
the server.

I would then apply SP3 for SQL Server 6.0.

If this is unsuccessful I would try installing 6.5 clean, you can't upgrade
from 6.0 if its not running because the upgrade process tries to run the
CHKUPG65.EXE program to look for objects that might cause compatibly
problems in the future, so the server must be running.  Then recreate your
devices exactly as you had them before (you have the original script for
this right?), then load from your most recent dumps.

If you still have problems I would stress test that hardware, you could be
looking at a multi-processor compatibility with the HAL for NT.

Quote:> This is going to be somewhat long and I apologize in advance, but we have
> SQL Server with 15 critical databases which will not start.

> Someone added a second processor to our SQL Server last week, but it
wasn't
> recognizing it.  That person did some research and found that you had to
> run a utility found in the NT Resource Kit called Uptomp.exe to have NT
> 3.51 recognize the second processor.  After running that he basically
came
> up with a death blue screen.  He tried running the emergency repair disk,
> etc. but could not get it to work.

> I suggested we upgrade to NT 4.0 (we needed to do it sometime anyway) -
> that actually sort of worked - it recognized both processors and we
finally
> got the right drivers for the NIC card, etc.  The problem is when we try
> and start the SQL Server service, it says an "Internal Windows NT error
> occurred" - we tried performing an upgrade to SQL server, but when it
gets
> about 90% through and it tries to start the sql server service we get an
> error also.

> Does anybody have any ideas of what to try?

> Thanks in advance,
> Pam

1. Help - cannot start SQL server - Windows NT Internal error

[...]

2. Help - First VB6 Version Question

3. Could not start the MSSQLServer service error 2140 internal Windows NT

4. SIGSEGV on ckpdb on OpenIngres 1.2 on HP-UX

5. Need urgent help - I cannot start SQL Server 7.0 service

6. Transaction log fills up

7. Help: Win NT Internal Error 2140 when agent service

8. Pull Subscription scripts

9. error 2140 internal windows Nt error when trying to start OracleOraHomeManagementServer serice

10. SQL 6.5 error, cannot start service

11. Cannot start NT services

12. NT Service with OCI Code cannot start with wsock32.dll code

13. An NT service with OCI cannot be started if a SOCKET module is added