JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by MegaMa » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 22:58:24

This is my first try with SQL Server's JOB, and I have a strange problem.

If I create a JOB with only one step, everithing works fine.
But when I create a job with 2 or more step... SQL Server JOB Agents Crash

Windows event viewer report:
Exception 5 caught at line 173 of file ..\src\refreshr.c.  SQLServerAgent
initiating self-termination.

SQL Server JOB Agents errors log report:
[LOG] Exception 5 caught at line 173 of file ..\src\refreshr.c.
SQLServerAgent initiating self-termination
[240] Killed  1 thread of engine after 30 second wait
[311] Thread 'JobInvocationEngine' (ID 1584) is running
(I traduced the last 2 error, there was in Italian)

It is strange, because it ever crash, no matter what i put inside the job (I
ever use T-SQL job)
I tried to create 2 subsequent identical step, one alone works, 2 or more
crash.
I ever tried job like
    select 'pluto'
one works, 2 or more crash...

Where is the problem?

System: Windows 2000 Server SP2, IIS 5.0, SQL Server 2000 SP2, MDAC 2.7, no
mapi mail acount

Now I report the DDL code of my tow JOB, the firs is a simple one-step job,
thar work fine, the second is a tow step job, that crash my SQL Agent :-(

You'll probably need to change the owner of the job with a valid acount on
you server

-- This JOB WORK FINE

BEGIN TRANSACTION

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name = N'Database
Maintenance') < 1

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs WHERE name = N'JOB Test that run
fine') > 0
  PRINT N'Il processo "JOB Test that run fine" esiste gi e pertanto non
verr sostituito.'
ELSE
BEGIN

 -- Aggiungi processo

  -- Aggiungi passaggi di processo

  -- Aggiungi server target

END
COMMIT TRANSACTION
GOTO   EndSave
QuitWithRollback:

EndSave:

-- This JOB CRASH

BEGIN TRANSACTION

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name = N'Database
Maintenance') < 1

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs WHERE name = N'JOB Test that
crash') > 0
  PRINT N'Il processo "JOB Test that crash" esiste gi e pertanto non verr
sostituito.'
ELSE
BEGIN

 -- Aggiungi processo

  -- Aggiungi passaggi di processo

  -- Aggiungi server target

END
COMMIT TRANSACTION
GOTO   EndSave
QuitWithRollback:

EndSave:

Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by Jasper Smit » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 00:00:52

I would contact Microsoft Support. This actually may be a problem
with the Italian Localisation ( I cannot reproduce the error) and if you
search google groups  for "SQLServerAgent initiating self-termination"
you'll find quite a few refer to the Italian version. The error also shows
up
in the following KB article but since you don't have an email notify on the
job (and that its meant to be fixed in SP2) I don't think it applies
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302892

Best course of actoin is to contact Support

HTH
Jasper Smith

Quote:> This is my first try with SQL Server's JOB, and I have a strange problem.

=

>   -- Aggiungi passaggi di processo

=

0,

>   -- Aggiungi server target

> END
> COMMIT TRANSACTION
> GOTO   EndSave
> QuitWithRollback:

> EndSave:

> -- This JOB CRASH

> BEGIN TRANSACTION

> IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name = N'Database
> Maintenance') < 1

> IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs WHERE name = N'JOB Test that
> crash') > 0
>   PRINT N'Il processo "JOB Test that crash" esiste gi e pertanto non
verr
> sostituito.'
> ELSE
> BEGIN

>  -- Aggiungi processo

0,

>   -- Aggiungi passaggi di processo

=

0,

=

0,

>   -- Aggiungi server target

> END
> COMMIT TRANSACTION
> GOTO   EndSave
> QuitWithRollback:

> EndSave:

Quote:

> Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by MegaMa » Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:15:38

Quote:> I would contact Microsoft Support. This actually may be a problem
> with the Italian Localisation ( I cannot reproduce the error)

this mean that these 2 job work fine on your server?

Quote:> Best course of actoin is to contact Support

Ok, Thanks.

Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by Gert E.R. Draper » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:48:22

I can not repro it either. Are you sure you have SQL 2000 SP2 installed? I
have seem this problem before and was caused by a problem in
xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs, which was fixed in 2000 SP2

Please reply only to the newsgroups.
You assume all risk for your use.
Copyright ? SQLDev.Net 1991-2002 All rights reserved.

=

>   -- Aggiungi passaggi di processo

=

0,

>   -- Aggiungi server target

> END
> COMMIT TRANSACTION
> GOTO   EndSave
> QuitWithRollback:

> EndSave:

> -- This JOB CRASH

> BEGIN TRANSACTION

> IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name = N'Database
> Maintenance') < 1

> IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs WHERE name = N'JOB Test that
> crash') > 0
>   PRINT N'Il processo "JOB Test that crash" esiste gi e pertanto non
verr
> sostituito.'
> ELSE
> BEGIN

>  -- Aggiungi processo

0,

>   -- Aggiungi passaggi di processo

=

0,

=

0,

>   -- Aggiungi server target

> END
> COMMIT TRANSACTION
> GOTO   EndSave
> QuitWithRollback:

> EndSave:

Quote:

> Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by Jasper Smit » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 18:57:16

They work fine on my PC and I see no reason why they would not work -
they look fine to me. My guess is that this may be specific to the
Italian localisation or something specific to your installation.

Cheers
Jasper Smith

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by MegaMa » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:10:57

Quote:> They work fine on my PC and I see no reason why they would not work -
> they look fine to me. My guess is that this may be specific to the
> Italian localisation or something specific to your installation.

Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by MegaMa » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:12:37

Quote:> I can not repro it either. Are you sure you have SQL 2000 SP2 installed? I
> have seem this problem before and was caused by a problem in
> xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs, which was fixed in 2000 SP2

Yes, SP2 it's installed.
I also installed the latest patch (80.00.608)

What will happen if I try to reinstall SP2?

Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by Gert E.R. Draper » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:10:09

Nothing ba, you will loose the fixed from the latest hot fix (608)

Please reply only to the newsgroups.
You assume all risk for your use.
Copyright ? SQLDev.Net 1991-2002 All rights reserved.

> > I can not repro it either. Are you sure you have SQL 2000 SP2 installed?
> > have seem this problem before and was caused by a problem in
> > xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs, which was fixed in 2000 SP2

> Yes, SP2 it's installed.
> I also installed the latest patch (80.00.608)

> What will happen if I try to reinstall SP2?

> Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Post by Gert E.R. Draper » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:10:09

Nothing ba, you will loose the fixed from the latest hot fix (608)

Please reply only to the newsgroups.
You assume all risk for your use.
Copyright ? SQLDev.Net 1991-2002 All rights reserved.

> > I can not repro it either. Are you sure you have SQL 2000 SP2 installed?
> > have seem this problem before and was caused by a problem in
> > xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs, which was fixed in 2000 SP2

> Yes, SP2 it's installed.
> I also installed the latest patch (80.00.608)

> What will happen if I try to reinstall SP2?

> Thanks, Max

JOB Agent Crash when more than 1 step inside the job

Nothing bad, you will loose the fixed from the latest hot fix (608)