NT Access to Local Groups w/Global IDs

Post by Steve Nielse » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I've created a Local Group on our Server (which also houses our SQL Server
databases) w/ UserIDs from the Global network.  I then add the Local Group
as a New Login and give it access to the desired database.  Next, I assign
permissions to that Local Group for the targeted tables within the database.
Problem:  The users within the Local Group are not getting access to these
tables.  If I create a Global Group and perform the same steps outlined
above, then the users do get access.  What's going on?  I need to be able to
do this for Local Groups only.  (Also, I'm using NT authentication within
this Local Group.)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me on this problem.

Steve Nielsen

NT Access to Local Groups w/Global IDs

Post by Dejan Sark » Sat, 18 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Steve,

Quote:>I've created a Local Group on our Server (which also houses our SQL Server
>databases) w/ UserIDs from the Global network.  I then add the Local Group
>as a New Login and give it access to the desired database.  Next, I assign
>permissions to that Local Group for the targeted tables within the
database.
>Problem:  The users within the Local Group are not getting access to these
>tables.  If I create a Global Group and perform the same steps outlined
>above, then the users do get access.  What's going on?  I need to be able
>do this for Local Groups only.  (Also, I'm using NT authentication within
>this Local Group.)

this is a known problem. Try to use BUILTIN\GroupName as the group name for
the local group.

HTH,
Dejan Sarka

1. Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Hello all,

We are moving from our databases NT4/SQLServer7 to W2K/SQLServer2K, on
 new hardware.  In our NT4/SQLServer7 environment we used Local Server
Groups mapped to sql logins for authentication.  In the SQLServer2K
world we would like to use Domain Local Groups mapped to sql logins
for authentication.

Is there a way (anyway - DMO,TSQL, or 3rd party tool) in sqlserver to
either:
1.) Remap the login accounts to NT doamin groups
    - or -
2.) Copy the permissions from one sql login to another sql login

so we do not have to manually repermissions the databases.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Mark Larsen

2. Migration Problem - 8.0.4 to 8.1.6

3. Renaming Server name - Impact on local NT group Sql IDs

4. FP 2.0 Help

5. Local Group or Global Group

6. US-TX-SA-Oracle DBA/Designer

7. Relationship between sql server , local machine and Domain groups and ids

8. Delphi4+Access97

9. SQL7 NT login, global vs local authentication

10. SQL 6.5 security manager fail to enumerate global group members after NT upgrade to SP5

11. using windows NT Server Local groups

12. Windows NT group as local login in linked servers

13. security: NT local groups