Storing MS-Word Documents....

Post by Eric Sebastia » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:09:32

Hi,

I have an application which runs on two different servers
(within and outside the firewall). But the database it
connects to is same.

I used to upload documents (ms-word, excel etc) on this
server using aspupload. But now that there are two copies
of the application running (within and outside the
firewall), I can't do this anymore.

So, I wish to upload these documents onto the sql server
2000.

I wish to do this using asp scripts.

If anyone knows this and can tell me how to do this, it
would be a great help.

Thanks
Eric

Storing MS-Word Documents....

Post by Don Sherwoo » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:49:58

You can still do it as before, just configure your firewall appropriately.

-Don.

Quote:> Hi,

> I have an application which runs on two different servers
> (within and outside the firewall). But the database it
> connects to is same.

> I used to upload documents (ms-word, excel etc) on this
> server using aspupload. But now that there are two copies
> of the application running (within and outside the
> firewall), I can't do this anymore.

> So, I wish to upload these documents onto the sql server
> 2000.

> I wish to do this using asp scripts.

> If anyone knows this and can tell me how to do this, it
> would be a great help.

> Thanks
> Eric

Storing MS-Word Documents....

Post by ChrisThibodeau » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 05:12:21

Eric,
The way that I have done it in the past, given this
scenario, is to persist the word doc to the File System
and only keep the UNC path in the database.  Then I use
the FileSystemObject to grab the file and manipulate it,
pass it to the Client's web browser, etc...

Alternatively, you could store the word doc as in its own
table ensuring a column exists with the text datatype.
You can then subcategorize them by application if you need
that granular distinction.  Then you must utilize Full-
Text indexing on the text column or it won't be indexed
and you can't keyword search it. SQL limits column lengths
to 900 characters for an index, unless it is full-text,
which on a single instance of a text datatype, you could
persist 2GB.

-HTH -

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>I have an application which runs on two different servers
>(within and outside the firewall). But the database it
>connects to is same.

>I used to upload documents (ms-word, excel etc) on this
>server using aspupload. But now that there are two copies
>of the application running (within and outside the
>firewall), I can't do this anymore.

>So, I wish to upload these documents onto the sql server
>2000.

>I wish to do this using asp scripts.

>If anyone knows this and can tell me how to do this, it
>would be a great help.

>Thanks
>Eric

>.

1. How do I store MS Word documents in a database

I need help in determining the techniques that will be used to develop a
reporting application using VB5, Crystal Reports, and SQL Server 6.5.

The application will build a report from a number of MS Word and MS
Excel documents, as well as data queries.

The basic thrust is that there will be a table holding a number of
'default' documents in MS Word and MS Excel.  The user will select some
of these documents to go into the report.  The application will copy the
default documents into a reporting table, so that the user may customize
some of them, and then use Crystal Reports to print a report combining
these documents with the results of data queries.

I believe that I should be able to store the documents as image
datatypes (Are BLOBS the same as images?), but I cannot find any
documentation to show me how I can do this.  I need to develop a proof
of concept this week.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Kaufman
UNAPEN, Inc.

2. SQLServer compared to DB2

3. Store Ms Word Documents

4. copyapp

5. Storing MS word document in database

6. Need a DATE script that produces....

7. MS/Word Documents stored/retrived to MS/SQL 7

8. that this certain?

9. How do I store/display ms-word documents?

10. HELP: how store MS-Word document in a table ?

11. How do I store MS Word documents in databse?

12. Store MS Word Documents? Anybody done it?

13. Stored Procedure Paramaters from a MS Word Document?????