msmdqlog.mdb

Post by Tim Harri » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 23:36:09

Hi,
    The msmdqlog.mdb on our production server hit 980 MB this morning. I
copied it to my PC and used Access to compact it down to 3 MB. Has anyone
encountered this issue before? I was thinking of creating a DTS package
using VBScript to compact the database at regular intervals if this can be
done without needing to install Access itself.
    Is it possible to have analysis services use SQL server instead of
msmdqlog.mdb to log queries? Has anyone tried it?

msmdqlog.mdb

Post by George Spoffor » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 00:29:06

Could be possible. The Quey Log connection string is in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLAP Server\CurrentVersion\QueryLogConnectionString.
If you DTS'd the query log file into a SQL Server database, changed the
connection string, and re-cycled the service, maybe it would work. If it
didn't, you could reset the connection string (save it first!) and restart and
I bet nothing would have gone wrong.

If you try it out, let us know whether it worked!

HTH

--
George Spofford
Microsoft MVP

ISVs & IT organizations: Find out how DSS Lab can speed your development!

msmdqlog.mdb

Post by Tim Harri » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:18:41

I'll give it a try when I get the chance. I have been saving the log data in
a SQL Server table and pushing the data back to the Access DB after doing a
full process. I do a full process every day because the cube is small and it
is the simplest way to go since we are always re-arranging the Locations
dimensions and want the history to move. We were losing the usage data so I
created a DTS package to do the above. I'll try modifying the
QueryLogConnectionString  to point to my SQL Server table and will let
everyone know how it goes.

Quote:> Could be possible. The Quey Log connection string is in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLAP

Server\CurrentVersion\QueryLogConnectionString.
> If you DTS'd the query log file into a SQL Server database, changed the
> connection string, and re-cycled the service, maybe it would work. If it
> didn't, you could reset the connection string (save it first!) and restart
and
> I bet nothing would have gone wrong.

> If you try it out, let us know whether it worked!

> HTH

> > Hi,
> >     The msmdqlog.mdb on our production server hit 980 MB this morning. I
> > copied it to my PC and used Access to compact it down to 3 MB. Has
anyone
> > encountered this issue before? I was thinking of creating a DTS package
> > using VBScript to compact the database at regular intervals if this can
be
> > done without needing to install Access itself.
> >     Is it possible to have analysis services use SQL server instead of
> > msmdqlog.mdb to log queries? Has anyone tried it?

> --
> George Spofford
> Microsoft MVP
> Chief Architect / OLAP Solution Provider
> DSS Lab

> ISVs & IT organizations: Find out how DSS Lab can speed your development!

msmdqlog.mdb

Post by Tim Harri » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:22:38

I guess I'd better not forget to change the RemoteQueryLogConnectionString
as well

Quote:> Could be possible. The Quey Log connection string is in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLAP

Server\CurrentVersion\QueryLogConnectionString.
> If you DTS'd the query log file into a SQL Server database, changed the
> connection string, and re-cycled the service, maybe it would work. If it
> didn't, you could reset the connection string (save it first!) and restart
and
> I bet nothing would have gone wrong.

> If you try it out, let us know whether it worked!

> HTH

> > Hi,
> >     The msmdqlog.mdb on our production server hit 980 MB this morning. I
> > copied it to my PC and used Access to compact it down to 3 MB. Has
anyone
> > encountered this issue before? I was thinking of creating a DTS package
> > using VBScript to compact the database at regular intervals if this can
be
> > done without needing to install Access itself.
> >     Is it possible to have analysis services use SQL server instead of
> > msmdqlog.mdb to log queries? Has anyone tried it?

> --
> George Spofford
> Microsoft MVP
> Chief Architect / OLAP Solution Provider
> DSS Lab

> ISVs & IT organizations: Find out how DSS Lab can speed your development!

msmdqlog.mdb

Post by Tim Harri » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:49:15

I've been using SQL server for query logging for several days now and
everything seems to be working fine.

Quote:> Could be possible. The Quey Log connection string is in
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLAP

Server\CurrentVersion\QueryLogConnectionString.
> If you DTS'd the query log file into a SQL Server database, changed the
> connection string, and re-cycled the service, maybe it would work. If it
> didn't, you could reset the connection string (save it first!) and restart
and
> I bet nothing would have gone wrong.

> If you try it out, let us know whether it worked!

> HTH

> > Hi,
> >     The msmdqlog.mdb on our production server hit 980 MB this morning. I
> > copied it to my PC and used Access to compact it down to 3 MB. Has
anyone
> > encountered this issue before? I was thinking of creating a DTS package
> > using VBScript to compact the database at regular intervals if this can
be
> > done without needing to install Access itself.
> >     Is it possible to have analysis services use SQL server instead of
> > msmdqlog.mdb to log queries? Has anyone tried it?

> --
> George Spofford
> Microsoft MVP
> Chief Architect / OLAP Solution Provider
> DSS Lab

> ISVs & IT organizations: Find out how DSS Lab can speed your development!

1. Query Log msmdqlog.mdb very large and broken

The query log Access database msmdqlog.mdb has grown to a
very large size of 600 MB on an AS2000 server.
Attempting to clear it produces an error "Run-Time
error '3704' Operation is not allowed when object is
closed.".

What can we do to repair this and reduce the size of the
query log?

2. Are Table-type recordsets "self-refreshing"?

3. MSMDQLOG.MDB - Strange logging behavior!

4. VSAM / SQL

5. msmdqlog.mdb bug - "dataset" field only 64 chars

6. Simple Question About adding data

7. moving msmdqlog to SQL server

8. Rename the server

9. Adp slower than mdb connecting to mdb on server

10. Replication from SQL to Access MDB to MDB

11. subscribing mdb renames to xx_old.mdb...why???

12. Compact .mdb -> open .mdb

13. Concatinate .mdb files into single .mdb file