Image Data : SQL CE BLOB or File System

Post by T. » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 05:06:23

Hi all, what are your thoughts on storing images in a CE database vs.
storing file names in the db and the actual images to local  file system
(Pocket PC 2K)?  Currently I'm doing a pull on a SQL Server table which
contains an image column.  This works sporadically.  Sometimes the Pull
process stops while pulling the table with the image column with an
"Internal Exception", after which the emulator does a hard reset and
everything reinstalls (incl. the CF) next time I deploy.  If I decide to
store the images in the file system, I'll need to use an alternate method to
copy those images to the device (this is a sales force app).  What would you
recommend here, a web service to serve the images as base64 encoded XML ?
thanks for your feedback..

Image Data : SQL CE BLOB or File System

Post by Brad Syputa - M » Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:09:16

Hi T,

You have the right idea. However the Emulator is not nearly as good as an
actual PocketPC. I believe your success with a real device will be many many
times better.

--
Brad

Quote:> Hi all, what are your thoughts on storing images in a CE database vs.
> storing file names in the db and the actual images to local  file system
> (Pocket PC 2K)?  Currently I'm doing a pull on a SQL Server table which
> contains an image column.  This works sporadically.  Sometimes the Pull
> process stops while pulling the table with the image column with an
> "Internal Exception", after which the emulator does a hard reset and
> everything reinstalls (incl. the CF) next time I deploy.  If I decide to
> store the images in the file system, I'll need to use an alternate method
> copy those images to the device (this is a sales force app).  What would
you
> recommend here, a web service to serve the images as base64 encoded XML ?
> thanks for your feedback..

Image Data : SQL CE BLOB or File System

Post by T. » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 00:03:13

Brad thanks for the reply, do you recommend steering clear of using RDA Pull
to get the image data in favor of a separate process (i.e., Web Service)?
Thanks again..

> Hi T,

> You have the right idea. However the Emulator is not nearly as good as an
> actual PocketPC. I believe your success with a real device will be many
many
> times better.

> --
> Brad

rights.

> > Hi all, what are your thoughts on storing images in a CE database vs.
> > storing file names in the db and the actual images to local  file system
> > (Pocket PC 2K)?  Currently I'm doing a pull on a SQL Server table which
> > contains an image column.  This works sporadically.  Sometimes the Pull
> > process stops while pulling the table with the image column with an
> > "Internal Exception", after which the emulator does a hard reset and
> > everything reinstalls (incl. the CF) next time I deploy.  If I decide to
> > store the images in the file system, I'll need to use an alternate
method
> > copy those images to the device (this is a sales force app).  What would
> you
> > recommend here, a web service to serve the images as base64 encoded XML
?
> > thanks for your feedback..

Image Data : SQL CE BLOB or File System

Post by Brad Syputa - M » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 03:20:59

From my experience, RDA.Pull is the fastest method to get Image data to the
device. Far faster than a Web Service. SQLCE and Rda have over head, but so
does running a WebService.

--
Brad

> Brad thanks for the reply, do you recommend steering clear of using RDA
Pull
> to get the image data in favor of a separate process (i.e., Web Service)?
> Thanks again..

> > Hi T,

> > You have the right idea. However the Emulator is not nearly as good as
an
> > actual PocketPC. I believe your success with a real device will be many
> many
> > times better.

> > --
> > Brad

> rights.

> > > Hi all, what are your thoughts on storing images in a CE database vs.
> > > storing file names in the db and the actual images to local  file
system
> > > (Pocket PC 2K)?  Currently I'm doing a pull on a SQL Server table
which
> > > contains an image column.  This works sporadically.  Sometimes the
Pull
> > > process stops while pulling the table with the image column with an
> > > "Internal Exception", after which the emulator does a hard reset and
> > > everything reinstalls (incl. the CF) next time I deploy.  If I decide
> > > store the images in the file system, I'll need to use an alternate
> method
> > > copy those images to the device (this is a sales force app).  What
would
> > you
> > > recommend here, a web service to serve the images as base64 encoded
XML
> ?
> > > thanks for your feedback..

1. Images: Store as BLOB or in the File system

Here's a daunting question for me:

Images for a web site.  (Dynamic images linked to for example, products)

Where do we think the best place to store them is?

As a BLOB:
- Pros:
- - A) easy to manage, ie, can be linked to a product, and if the product is
deleted, the associated image can be deleted as one transaction
- Cons:
- - A) Supposedly, a database hit is required, and chunking (esp due to
sql's limit of 8000byte chunks) must be done to get the binary data

As a FILE:
- Pros:
- - A) file system (ie, NTFS or XFS) is responsible for giving the file to
the web server
- - B) no database "hit"
- Cons:
- - A) somewhat harder to manage.  ie, a unique filename must be created
- - B) associated product deletion requires a clean up of its image (ie,
cant delete the product and all references with a nice stored proc or

- - C) updates/locking... lets say the store owner updates the product
image -at the same time- as somebody else views the image.  The store owner
gets essentially a "access denied"... perhaps just more checking by the app
managing the update?

2. Does anyone know how to do this?

3. SQL SERVER CE Image Data to SQL Server

4. Windows NT name & Visual Basic

5. DAO Blob Adding/Extracting (audio files, text files, image files, program files)

6. Implemeting a SHR operator using existent SQL operators (&, |, etc)

7. How Can I access image from SQL CE through ADO CE 3.0 In EM VC++

8. Bar Codes in a Report

9. Create a Binary File in eVB From a BLOB SQL CE Column

10. Converting BLOB(Oracle) data to IMAGE(SQL Server) data

11. SQL server 2000 CE and BLOB data

12. the image data type of sql ce 2.0

13. Get a file from harddisk into SQL image (BLOB) field