SQL 6.5 on Windows XP?????

Post by Mark Pearc » Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:36:32

Hi

Can someone let me know if it is possible to install SQL Server 6.5 onto a
Windows XP Professional Machine. I know its a strange request, but it is
just so that we can back up an existing database and test an application.

Thanks in advance.
Mark Pearce

SQL 6.5 on Windows XP?????

Post by Hal Berenso » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:00:20

SQL Server 6.5 is definitely not supported on Windows XP, but I don't know
if it could work.  Setup probably won't even allow the installation because
Windows XP is a desktop operating system.

You MIGHT be able to get the 6.5 desktop products, SQL Workstation or SQL
Server 6.5 Developer (that was part of an old VC++ Enterprise Edition), to
install on Windows XP.  It would still be unsupported, and I would never
trust it for production use (which would be a license violation anyway), but
it just might work.  Anyone tried?

--
Hal Berenson
True Mountain Consulting