Text Field cutting off at 64K

Post by Dave Phillip » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

Is there a limit to the size of a Text field to 64K?  What if you have a
set of data that needs to be saved that's greater than 64K?  I'm saving
this information in a database, but it's getting cut off at 65535
characters.

Any help would be appreciated

Text Field cutting off at 64K

Post by TechNet Answer Tea » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Questions:
- What SQL Server version and Service Pack is installed?
- By what method are you importing the text data into SQL Server?
- Any errors being reported?
Thanks,
Lon
TechNet Answer Team

Text Field cutting off at 64K

Post by Dave Phillip » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

1.  SQL Version 7, SP4
2.  The text data is being saved through a Cold Fusion SQL statement.
It's an INSERT statement.  The same variable that holds the information
is used to e-mail a copy of it to me as well.  The e-mail copy is
complete.  The one saved in the Table is not.
3.  No errors reported at all.  I would have expected a truncation error
if it was a limitation problem, but there's not.

Thanks Lon!

Dave

Quote:-----Original Message-----

Questions:
- What SQL Server version and Service Pack is installed?
- By what method are you importing the text data into SQL Server?
- Any errors being reported?
Thanks,
Lon
TechNet Answer Team

1. exporting to text files cuts off varchar(4000)

Hi

SQL 7.0 SP 2.

I created a DTS for exporting from tabels to textfiles.
Some of my tables have datatype varchar(4000).
I need to export my data to text files, but are missing characters from my
large varchar. They are cut off after 256 charecters.
I know data is complete, I can see them when I connect to SQL server using
excel.

Is there any setting I can control, or any way to tell select to retrieve
the complete string af varchars ?

Kind regards

Steen

2. Informix/UNIX heavy looking for contract work in SE

3. Printing to HP DJ540 - Text Cuts Off

4. bizarre difference between performance of first and second run of ODBC/Jet writer application

5. Need help: trick to fix layout in FM 4 with text being cut off

6. Field formatted to perform script ?

7. HELP - margins cutting off text in long layout

8. Comments in queries

9. SP field lenght cutting off at 256

10. Help with text field 64K limit

11. text field was cut

12. Text field was cut

13. how to cut off the time part in getdate()