Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Post by MarkLars » Sat, 09 Feb 2002 05:25:27

Hello all,

We are moving from our databases NT4/SQLServer7 to W2K/SQLServer2K, on
 new hardware.  In our NT4/SQLServer7 environment we used Local Server
Groups mapped to sql logins for authentication.  In the SQLServer2K
world we would like to use Domain Local Groups mapped to sql logins
for authentication.

Is there a way (anyway - DMO,TSQL, or 3rd party tool) in sqlserver to
either:
1.) Remap the login accounts to NT doamin groups
    - or -
2.) Copy the permissions from one sql login to another sql login

so we do not have to manually repermissions the databases.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Mark Larsen

Remapping/Copying SQL Logins from NT Local Groups to Domain Global Groups

Post by Wayne Snyde » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:27:44

Perhaps you can use Generate SQL Scripts from SQL Enterprise Manager.. Right
click your database-> All tasks...  Once the script has been generated... do
some file manipulation (replace lit)...

The other alternative (changing the SID field of sysxlogins) will almost
assuredly get you into trouble...

--
Wayne Snyder MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), C*te, NC

I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
(www.sqlpass.org)

Quote:> Hello all,

> We are moving from our databases NT4/SQLServer7 to W2K/SQLServer2K, on
>  new hardware.  In our NT4/SQLServer7 environment we used Local Server
> Groups mapped to sql logins for authentication.  In the SQLServer2K
> world we would like to use Domain Local Groups mapped to sql logins
> for authentication.

> Is there a way (anyway - DMO,TSQL, or 3rd party tool) in sqlserver to
> either:
> 1.) Remap the login accounts to NT doamin groups
>     - or -
> 2.) Copy the permissions from one sql login to another sql login

> so we do not have to manually repermissions the databases.

> Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

> Mark Larsen

1. Local Group or Global Group

Hi All

I am just setting up SQL7 in a Domain but I can't persuade SQLServer to
accept logins from Local Group members. Users in a Global group can access
the server with no problems.

A Global Group in the Local Group won't make it either.

Any hints gratefully received.

Nick Cooper
PC Support
University of Bath - School of Management

2. Distributed Foxbase app...How to?

3. Importing logins from NT-domain group?

4. NT Clustering ???

5. NT Access to Local Groups w/Global IDs

6. log in database problem

7. Relationship between sql server , local machine and Domain groups and ids

8. renaming a server

9. Domain Local Group members not recognized by SQL Server 7

10. NT Groups & SQL Logins

11. NT groups and SQL logins, how do I...

12. SQL 6.5 security manager fail to enumerate global group members after NT upgrade to SP5

13. W2K Domain users added to NT Groups and SQL