AS/400 and SQL Server 6.5

Post by Eezagood » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Please tell me there's a way around not been able to directly link SQL
Server and the AS/400 - without buying version 7. Also if I must use Access
to copy AS400 files and then export them to SQL Server - can you schedule
Access events using Scheduler.

Niel

AS/400 and SQL Server 6.5

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Niel,

 The 3rd party solutions that work with 6,5 and AS/400's are all a LOT more
expensive than SQL 7!  Can you schedule Access?  Yes, as long as you use/buy
something like WinBatch

 > Please tell me there's a way around not been able to directly link SQL

Quote:> Server and the AS/400 - without buying version 7. Also if I must use Access
> to copy AS400 files and then export them to SQL Server - can you schedule
> Access events using Scheduler.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 For SQL FAQ entries see

 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

AS/400 and SQL Server 6.5

Post by Darren Gree » Sun, 22 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Niel,

> The 3rd party solutions that work with 6,5 and AS/400's are all a LOT more
>expensive than SQL 7!  Can you schedule Access?  Yes, as long as you use/buy
>something like WinBatch

> > Please tell me there's a way around not been able to directly link SQL
>> Server and the AS/400 - without buying version 7. Also if I must use Access
>> to copy AS400 files and then export them to SQL Server - can you schedule
>> Access events using Scheduler.

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> For SQL FAQ entries see

> or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
> or http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
> or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

You can schedule Access from the AT NT Scheduler service. A little tip
is to specify the macro name on the command line. You could of course
use an Autoexec macro instead.

What did I miss, why use WinBatch?

As for AS400, way out of my league I'm afraid.
--
Darren Green

AS/400 and SQL Server 6.5

Post by Trevor Dwye » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Niel,

Look at the drivers available on www.hit.com  You can use either the OLEDB
or ODBC drivers and I have used these in the past the 'very' sucessfully
transfer data from an AS400 into Access or SQL Server (6.x or 7.0)

If you decide to use these drivers (or any drivers in fact) watch out for
some performance problems you may encounter when using Access (although some
simple tweaks will get around these).

--
Best Regards

Trevor Dwyer - SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Please tell me there's a way around not been able to directly link SQL
> Server and the AS/400 - without buying version 7. Also if I must use
Access
> to copy AS400 files and then export them to SQL Server - can you schedule
> Access events using Scheduler.

> Niel

1. AS/400 to SQL Server 6.5??

Hi folks...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any tools out on the market that allow you
to transfer data from the as/400 to the SQL Server?  This would need to be
run on a nightly basis.

I've written VB programs to perform the tasks through ODBC, but the programs
are very slow and unreliable.

Thanks in advance...

David Horn

2. About AQL

3. AS/400 to SQL Server 6.5

4. Help with Time Format

5. importing from db2/400 to SQL Server 6.5

6. linked server to MS Access database?

7. replication from DB2/400 to SQL Server 6.5

8. Tired of CENSORSHIP and SPEED CAPPING? Tell the FCC! Link to TIME WARNER - AOL merger case docket here! 9420

9. How do I transfer a workfile from AS/400 to SQL Server 6.5?

10. How Do I Move File From AS/400 to SQL Server 6.5?

11. How do I transfer a Workfile from AS/400 to SQL Server 6.5?

12. AS/400 -> MS SQL Server 6.5

13. replication between DB2/400 and MSSQL Server 6.5