Any difference in performance to move tempdb to a new Device or expand the tempdb to new device

Any difference in performance to move tempdb to a new Device or expand the tempdb to new device

Post by SalesM » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I would like to know is there any difference in application
performance if u choose to move tempdb out from master device to a new
device or just expand the tempdb to another new device

is it necessary to create a new device for tempdb log purpose ?

regards

Any difference in performance to move tempdb to a new Device or expand the tempdb to new device

Post by E (a.k.a. Kevorki » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The only use of expanding the tempdb database is if you are doing any
medium to large queries that have a great deal of grouping and sorting
in them.  That is essentially what tempdb is used for.

  - E

Quote:

>I would like to know is there any difference in application
>performance if u choose to move tempdb out from master device to a new
>device or just expand the tempdb to another new device

>is it necessary to create a new device for tempdb log purpose ?

>regards

1. OOPS...I messed up and expanded tempdb on to a device that I need to delete

I had a problem a while back and with out thinking I expanded tempdb on to
the same device as some of my functional databases.  I have since moved all
databases off of that device and would like to delete it.  The problem is
that I can't figure out how to get tempdb off of it.

2. update problem

3. Moving database from shared device to new device

4. Help! FMP 5 won't launch on my 486 - please don't say buy a new computer

5. Expanding Tran. Log On New Device (6.5)

6. Informix datatypes...

7. Expanding Tran. Log Onto New Device (6.5)

8. Administer Server

9. How Do I move tempdb off master device - OMNIConnect

10. Moving out TempDB from Master Device

11. Moving tempdb log on to seperate device?????