MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

Post by John Cas » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi this is a thread from another news group that has not been
answered. Any ideas anyone?

Thank You, Thank You...you hit it right on the money. It seems SQL
import/export converted all my MS-Access memo fields to the SQL ntext
data type. Does SQL Server have a comparable memo field type? If not
how do people get around the memo field requirement? Create text field
large enough for the average requirement?

Thanks Again

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:40:30 +0400, Alexey Dolganov

>Hi John!
>Your data (at least one column in the table you are quering) imported into
>MS SQL as Unicode text (ntext datatype). So you cannot request the data
>using DBLibrary.
>To avoid this problem you should first change column datatype from ntext
>to text, if you really don't want to use unicode.
>Other workaround is to use osql instead of isql and newer ODBC drivers

>Regards,
>Alexey Dolganov,
>MCP,
>Moscow, Russia

MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

Post by Brian Mora » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm not sure what wasn't answered? the original reply seemed to have all the
info... access memo fields can be supported in SQL as text or ntext
(unicode). Older ODBC drivers and DB-Lib don't support UNICODE ntext.
Converting the fields to text should solve you're problem?

--
Brian Moran

Director of Database Technology
CIBER Washington D.C.
MCSE, MCSD, SQL Server MVP
Windows NT Magazine Columnist
President, Capital Area
SQL Server Users Group

> Hi this is a thread from another news group that has not been
> answered. Any ideas anyone?

> Thank You, Thank You...you hit it right on the money. It seems SQL
> import/export converted all my MS-Access memo fields to the SQL ntext
> data type. Does SQL Server have a comparable memo field type? If not
> how do people get around the memo field requirement? Create text field
> large enough for the average requirement?

> Thanks Again

> On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:40:30 +0400, Alexey Dolganov

> >Hi John!
> >Your data (at least one column in the table you are quering) imported
into
> >MS SQL as Unicode text (ntext datatype). So you cannot request the data
> >using DBLibrary.
> >To avoid this problem you should first change column datatype from ntext
> >to text, if you really don't want to use unicode.
> >Other workaround is to use osql instead of isql and newer ODBC drivers

> >Regards,
> >Alexey Dolganov,
> >MCP,
> >Moscow, Russia

1. MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

Hi this is a thread from another news group that has not been
answered. Any ideas anyone?

Thank You, Thank You...you hit it right on the money. It seems SQL
import/export converted all my MS-Access memo fields to the SQL ntext
data type. Does SQL Server have a comparable memo field type? If not
how do people get around the memo field requirement? Create text field
large enough for the average requirement?

Thanks Again

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:40:30 +0400, Alexey Dolganov

2. MS SQL Server 2000

3. MS ACCESS 97/SQL server 6.5: deadlock problems when accessing server tables

4. stupid SQL statement

5. MS Access 97 SQL to MS SQL SQL SQL SQL

6. Turn column headings off programmatically

7. How to migrate from MS Access 97 to MS SQL server 6.5

8. dbgrid --> TQuery problem

9. Upsizing MS Access 97 to MS SQL Server

10. Connecting to MS SQL Server 6.5 via MS Access 97 and ODBC

11. Calling MS ACCESS 97 Cross-Tab Query from MS SQL 6.5

12. Linking MS SQL 7 or MS Access 97

13. MS ACCESS 97/Sql server 6.5: deadlock problems when accesing server tables