Using DBLIB to call sp_executesql

Post by Steve Stoenne » Wed, 03 Mar 2004 05:49:18

Does anybody know if you can call procedures such as sp_executesql that
require nvarchar
parameters using DBLIB?... I don't see any reference to the nvarchar
datatype in DBLIB.
Thanks

Using DBLIB to call sp_executesql

Post by Alan Brewer [MSFT » Wed, 03 Mar 2004 06:26:26

The thing most likely to impact this is that DB-Library basically operates
at the SQL Server 6.5 level, so all long strings are truncated to 255 bytes,
which was the max size of the character and binary datatypes back then.

Have a look at this topic in the SQL Server 2000 Books Online, it gives the
effects of connecting early version clients with SQL Server 2000:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/?url=/library/en-us/bldgapps/ba_hig...

DB-Library was frozen in SQL Server 6.5, so does not support some of the
features introduced in SQL Server 7.0 or SQL Server 2000.

--
Alan Brewer [MSFT]
Lead Programming Writer

1. sp_executesql under vb call

Reading the book on line, I see that using sp_executesql
procedure can apport a lot of benefit to sql server, but
also to application that can receive that more faster rather
than execute (and rebuild) every time the comple sql
statement.

I'd like to implement the execution of sp_executesql under
vb, but question now is "How implement it?".

I suppose better (and probably only) way is to use
the command object and pass to recordset a command
object and its commandtext properties.

Is there on the net some samples, or hve you got one?

Bye
Andrea

2. Cascade Delete in PDox7, doesn't

3. blocking dblib calls from visual basic

4. Timestamp Fields -- Are They Necessary?

5. isql with dblib calls

6. Days of the week

7. blocking dblib calls from visual basic

8. How to format recordset/resultset...

9. asynchronous dblib calls

10. Need to call dblib (16-bit) from win32s Win 3.1 app

11. use ODBC or dblib calls

12. dblib calls from embedded sql