querying from the web

Post by Mike Duga » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:17:43

I need a web interface to search a table that has various articles stored in
it running on SQL Server 2000.  I have been doing some research and trying
to determine the best way to do this. I was hoping I could get some expert
advice, opinions or links to some good articles to help me in my research. I
am under the impression that SQL server 2000 is supposed to make this kind
of task pretty simple, but I have yet to find that trvial solution. What I
have come up with so far:

1. You can use index server to index static pages that are generated by
stored procedures and triggers in the database. (the problem is the static
pages, I would like to keep all the content within the database and generate
the page on the fly)

2.  Access SQL server through HTTP by building a SQL compliant URL which
returns data in XML format. This apparently requires some SQL Server set up,
possibly even a plug in. (Any known links on this technique would be
helpful, I only found 1 article on this)

3.Use basic HTML input objects to collect search criteria, web server
recieves parameters and calls a stored procedure that contains most of the
logic. It will return a recordset that is formated by the web server.

4. Just create a DLL that does the search on the database and call that.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Dugan

querying from the web

Post by oj » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 04:39:41

mike,

http://sqlxml.org

has some good info...

--
-oj
Rac v2.1 coming soon

Quote:> I need a web interface to search a table that has various articles stored
in
> it running on SQL Server 2000.  I have been doing some research and trying
> to determine the best way to do this. I was hoping I could get some expert
> advice, opinions or links to some good articles to help me in my research.
> am under the impression that SQL server 2000 is supposed to make this kind
> of task pretty simple, but I have yet to find that trvial solution. What I
> have come up with so far:

> 1. You can use index server to index static pages that are generated by
> stored procedures and triggers in the database. (the problem is the static
> pages, I would like to keep all the content within the database and
generate
> the page on the fly)

> 2.  Access SQL server through HTTP by building a SQL compliant URL which
> returns data in XML format. This apparently requires some SQL Server set
up,
> possibly even a plug in. (Any known links on this technique would be
> helpful, I only found 1 article on this)

> 3.Use basic HTML input objects to collect search criteria, web server
> recieves parameters and calls a stored procedure that contains most of the
> logic. It will return a recordset that is formated by the web server.

> 4. Just create a DLL that does the search on the database and call that.

> Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

> Mike Dugan

1. English query to the web

I'm having trouble deploying my test English Query
application to the web.  On the instructions (tutorial)
it says to go to the "Project" menu, select "Deploy" and
then "Web".

What I see under the "Project" menu is "Deploy to Web"
but it is greyed out.  I have the project open and
highlighted in design view in Project Explorer.  Can
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Kevin

2. EXPERTS, HELP!!!

3. SQLServer query from Solaris WEB Server

4. run SQL script

5. Querying Sql from web using IIS

6. 8i Personal Edition

7. Search Query for a web page

8. fulcrum

9. Query Data From Web HTML Table

10. Downloading Query Result from Web

11. Downloading Query Result From Web

12. Need help with unreliable query results using web.sql

13. Product query on Informix web page