SQL Server 7 & SQL Server 2000

Post by D » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:52:01

Forgive me for my ignorance, but then again, that's why
these Newsgroups exist right?
-------------
Purpose: Will be creating FLASH-based applications using
XML, ASP and SQL Server

- because of this, I have been told and read that XML
support is native SQL Server 2000 BUT, the (small) company
that I will begin developing for already has multiple
applications using SQL Server 7 so my question is:

Can SQL Server 7 & SQL Server 2000 coexist/run
cuncurrently on the same box (Windows 2000 Advanced
Server)?

SQL Server 7 & SQL Server 2000

Post by Cowbo » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:28:25

Yes, with a caveat.

With SQL Server 2000, you can set up instances. If you already have SQL
Server 7 installed, your options are upgrade or instance, period.

The question, of course, is do you need SQL Server 2000? As you can create
XML with an app, the answer may well be no. SQL Server 2000 does simplify
the retrieval of data as XML, but there are no canned answers.

Upgrading to SQL Server 2000 (existing apps) might be the best option, but
play with the upgrade on a development box, not the live server. Once you
know you have everything migrated, you will be fine.

NOTE: Adding another SQL Server (ie, an instance of 2000) will add overhead
to the box. Take it into consideration when you architect your solution.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge (4Q 2001)

Think Outside the Box!

Quote:> Forgive me for my ignorance, but then again, that's why
> these Newsgroups exist right?
> -------------
> Purpose: Will be creating FLASH-based applications using
> XML, ASP and SQL Server

> - because of this, I have been told and read that XML
> support is native SQL Server 2000 BUT, the (small) company
> that I will begin developing for already has multiple
> applications using SQL Server 7 so my question is:

> Can SQL Server 7 & SQL Server 2000 coexist/run
> cuncurrently on the same box (Windows 2000 Advanced
> Server)?

1. SQL Server 7 & SQL Server 2000

Hello all.

I have the Desktop version of SQL Server 7 that came with my VB Pro package
installed on my machine.

A prospective client has SQL Server 2000 installed on their machine.

Could someone please enlighten me as to the chief differences between SQL
Server 7 and SQL Server 2000 with regards to
functionality/improvements/syntax etc?

Any response does not have to be really detailed, just a very brief outline
would be great.

I thank you for your time with this enquiry.

Best regards.

David Clifford

2. Colorado; Unix/Sybase Administration

3. SQL Server 7.0 & SQL Server 2000 Differences.

4. Join Two tables with different databases

5. how to backup a sql server 65 server from a sql server 2000 server

6. Searching ODBC records

7. moving from Sql server 2000 evaluation to full version of Sql server 2000

8. Delphi/Oracle Index problem

9. Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2

10. Migrate from Old SQL 2000 server to a New SQL 2000 server

11. Update NT4.0 and SQL Server 7.0 to Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000

12. Restore database from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2000 (beta 2 version)

13. how to connect remote sql server 2000 from my local sql server 2000