Periodic system lock up

Post by Simon Campbell-Smit » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 20:51:00

Every so often (periodicity is about 1 to 2 hours) SQL
Server 2000 takes all the system resources and seems to
be doing a lot of work on the drive. The upshot of this
is we can do nothing on the server for several minutes
while the server is busy with this unknown task. Has
anybody got an idea as to what is causing this.

Periodic system lock up

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:20:15

It is probably doing a Checkpoint.  You can find much info in BooksOnline
about this but it is essentially when SQL Server writes the dirty pages to
disk..How often this happens depends on several things that are outlined in
BOL under Checkpoint and Recovery Interval.  It sounds like you have
mediocre I/O at best.

--
Andrew J. Kelly,  SQL Server MVP
TargitInteractive

Please join me at PASS North America in Denver - the first and only user
conference dedicated to SQL Server.
http://www.sqlpass.org/events/denverjan/index.cfm

Quote:> Every so often (periodicity is about 1 to 2 hours) SQL