tempdb's data device

Post by Lapha » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used by
the Tempdb?

I am running SQL Server 6.5 sp3.

Thanks

Laphan

tempdb's data device

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Laphan,

Quote:> Could somebody please tell me how I can remove a data device that is used by
> the Tempdb?

Q.     How do I remove the tempdb database from master/default devices?
(v1.1  1999.01.27)

A. Do the following for SQL 6.5 and below

1.  Configure tempdb to be in RAM for 2 MB.  Use SQL EM or sp_configure.
2.  Stop and restart SQL Server.
3.  Add a new device for tempdb.  Do not call it temp_db - any other name
should be ok
4.  Make that new device a 'default' device; make sure no other device is
marked as default, especially master.  You can check/change default status
either using SQL EM, or the sp_diskdefault stored-procedure.  Both are fully
described in the books-online.
5.  Configure tempdb to NOT be in RAM (set value to 0)
6.  Stop and restart SQL Server
7.  Re-mark whichever device(s) you want to be default.

For SQL 7.0 :-

1.  alter database tempdb alter file <logicalname> filename = <newlocation>
2.  Stop and restart Sql Server

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see
 http://go.compuserve.com/sqlserver (library 1) - latest stuff is always here
 www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp