PLEASE HELP - Moving SQL 7 to Installation to new hardware

PLEASE HELP - Moving SQL 7 to Installation to new hardware

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 23:04:47

This article will help in transferring the logins from one machine to the
other:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q246/1/33.ASP

You will want to BACKUP and RESTORE your databases from one server to the
other.  The other option would be sp_detach_db and sp_attach_db.  Both
methods are documented within Books Online.

Unless you modify the stored procedures listed in the support article to
also include the SID, you will probably need to use the stored procedure
sp_change_users_login within each user database after you restore to the
other server.

As I mentioned, you will want to backup your user database(s), msdb (if you
have any jobs defined) and model (if you made any changes to the model db on
your existing server).

One final thing: make sure that you install SQL Server with the same char
set / sort order as you have on your current box.

--
Keith
==============

Quote:> Can anyone provide or direct me to advice regarding the best way to

Post by Rooste » Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:48:21

Can anyone provide or direct me to advice regarding the best way to
move an entire SQL Server 7 installation from an existing box to a new
server?  The current OS is NT 4.0; the new OS will be W2K Advanced
Server.

I'm not sure how best to move the system databases and what order to
do things in.  Can all databases (system dbs also) simply be backed up
and restored?  If so, should the system databases come first?  Are
there better ways?

Tips, comments, pitfalls, or advice of any kind would be most
appreciated.  Thank you!

Jeff

1. Moving SQL 7 Installation to new hardware

Can anyone provide or direct me to advice regarding the best way to
move an entire SQL Server 7 installation from an existing box to a new
server?  The current OS is NT 4.0; the new OS will be W2K Advanced
Server.

I'm not sure how best to move the system databases and what order to
do things in.  Can all databases (system dbs also) simply be backed up
and restored?  If so, should the system databases come first?  Are
there better ways?

Tips, comments, pitfalls, or advice of any kind would be most
appreciated.  Thank you!

2. Cleveland: Sr. Cobol, DB2, MQ Developers (4)

3. HELP.. moving SQL Server 6.5 to new hardware

4. See defaults before saving

5. Moving SQL server to new hardware

6. No Permission to MSysModules2

7. Moving SQL server6.5 to new hardware

8. SQL Script

9. Move SQL Server to new hardware

10. moving databases to new hardware in SQL 6.5

11. Moving SQL server to new hardware

12. Easiest way to move to new hardware?

13. Move MSDE to new hardware