Using DTS to use one field to update another (via ActiveX)

Using DTS to use one field to update another (via ActiveX)

Post by BostonScubaDiv » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 05:49:25

All -

I needt to take the value of one field of a record, use it as an input
in an ActiveX script and use the results to update another field i the
same record for all records in a 500,000 record table - in DTS.

I could do it through VB.NET - but I figure it could be accomplished
through DTS though I don't know haw. Any comments would be greatly
appreciated.

John

Using DTS to use one field to update another (via ActiveX)

Post by Allan Mitchel » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 03:12:33

You can use a lookup to do this and also parameters if you are using SQL
Server 2000

How to Use Lookups in DTS
http://www.sqldts.com/default.aspx?6,107,277,7,1

--

Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA

Quote:> All -

> I needt to take the value of one field of a record, use it as an input
> in an ActiveX script and use the results to update another field i the
> same record for all records in a 500,000 record table - in DTS.

> I could do it through VB.NET - but I figure it could be accomplished
> through DTS though I don't know haw. Any comments would be greatly
> appreciated.

> John

1. Using ADO via VB, a record shows one fields value to be correct, but the others

I am using ADO to query Access via Excel 2000 VBA. I open
a record set, consisting of a date column and 4 other data
columns. I get to a point where I need to add a new
record, say 12/26/2001. So I perform a RS.MovePrevious to
copy the data from the record above (in this case
12/24/2001). Now on this record I can inspect the date and
it is indeed 12/24/2001. However, the other 4 columns show
data from 10/18/2001, which has no significance
whatsoever. Furthermore, from that point on, any time I
perform the same operation I see that the date (for
example 4/1/2001) is correct but the corresponding data
columns show 10/18/2001 data.

I am very confused as to why this is happening. One scary
thing is that sometimes in debug mode it actually pulls
the 12/24/2001 data (4/1/2001, etc.). But, this never
works in run-time. That leads me to believe this is a
big problem. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,
Doug

2. Help with DateAdd between rows

3. Updating Record (via stored proc) with Blob Field using VB6

4. Performance and Connection Problems SQL7

5. Table Update Via Text File (DTS, Stored Proc, ActiveX, VBScript)

6. Help! Getting ODBC Driver versions on Install ?

7. Using Variables for Field Names using .AddNew and .Update

8. Data Warehouse Survey

9. DTS lookup using stored procedure : one input and one output parameter

10. using trigers on one table in order to update another one (SQL 7)

11. Lookup fields using more than one field

12. pulling data using dts ftp activex script

13. ActiveX DTS Error using InStr and Mid functions