Hi Z.Quote:> Can someone please advice me of how to connect to a Progress Database
> residing on a Unix box and extract data into SQL Server 2000. Anyone
> had any luck? Which vendors ODBC drivers work best?
There is an ODBC driver out there for Win32 that you can use..
I have used Openlinks Universal Data Access Driver and Merant
SequelLink driver. I was not happy with the performance / usability of
these drivers. You will not be able to register Progress as a Linked
Server, as it does not support all the Meta Data functions required to
link it. The performance is also hopeless.
I ended up getting SQL 2000 to call Progress 4GL queries, with output
of query as a text file, and then calling a DTS script to load data
into SQL 2000. I used this approach for a SQL Data Mart that pulled 5
GB data every night from Progress 8.3b / Compaq Tru Unix 64. This
approcah can also be used to do real time Pass Thru queries to
Progress. The only problem you might encounter is parameter passing to
Progress 4GL, as it will only accept 1 command line parameter. If you
need to pass several paramaters, pack them all into a string seperated
by a suitable marker, and then pull that string apart in the Progress
4GL script, prior to executing query. To get this approach to work,
you will need to install Progress 4GL on same machine as SQL 2000.
The OpenLinks Driver is free for 1 Serer / 5 Connections. SequeLink is
approx 12,000 AUD.
The bottom line is that Progress is a very difficult DBMS to talk to.
1. Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2
I have attempted to register a Sql Server 2000 SP3 on my SQL Server 2000 SP2
Server and each time I receive the server does not exist or cannot connect
error. I am able to ping the system in which the sp3 server is located so
is not a connectivity issue. My connection is over a VPN using PPTP and my
intention is to conduct replication between the two servers. Replication
have worked so far with most of my users but not with this one. The only
common denominator is the fact that this is a sp3 server. Are there any
suggestions on how to solve this problem? Short of reinstalling the Sp3
server to bring it back to sp2, I don't see a solution to the issue.
Upgrading the sp2 server to sp3 is not an option. Thanks in advance for
2. SQL Server becomes very slow when consuming 1,2 GB?
3. how to connect remote sql server 2000 from my local sql server 2000
5. SQL 2000 server Connect failes every time I connect server to LAN or Internet
6. help in Web enabling required URGENTLY!!
7. Connecting to Progress/400 Data Server over Mcrosoft SNA Server
8. * Stored Proc parameter and VB6
9. Connecting SQL Server 7 to SQL Server 2000
10. SQL Server Driver 2.65 for connect to SQL Server 2000
11. Connect from SQL Server to a SQL 2000 CE Server
12. How to extract from a .CSV file into a SQL Server 2000 table
13. Problem extracting large XML document from SQL Server 2000