Copying from SQL7 to SQL2k???

Post by taipa » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:45:57

Dear all,
I have 2 servers, one on SQL7 and one on SQL2000.
The SQL7 one is the old one while SQL2k is the new one.

Apart from importing all the databases individually one
by one using DTS manager is there another way of copying
all the databases from one server to the other in one
blow ???? I am only interested in Tables (and maybe
queries)

Any advice much appreciated
Taipan

Copying from SQL7 to SQL2k???

Post by jule » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:04:43

Isn't the backup/restore working ?
Or DTS of the whole database ?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Dear all,
>I have 2 servers, one on SQL7 and one on SQL2000.
>The SQL7 one is the old one while SQL2k is the new one.

>Apart from importing all the databases individually one
>by one using DTS manager is there another way of copying
>all the databases from one server to the other in one
>blow ???? I am only interested in Tables (and maybe
>queries)

>Any advice much appreciated
>Taipan

>.

Copying from SQL7 to SQL2k???

Post by taipa » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:19:58

But in DTS you can only specify one database what happens
if you have 500 ??????

taipan

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Isn't the backup/restore working ?
>Or DTS of the whole database ?

Copying from SQL7 to SQL2k???

Post by Wayne Snyde » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:27:02

In SQL 2000 machine run SQL Enterprise Manager, Select your SQL 2000 server,
select databases and right click -> ALL Tasks -> copy database wizard... be
sure to copy and leave the orig in place if you need the database to remain
at the SQL 7 location... This is actually doing an sp_detach and sp_attach,
which you may do manually if the wizard doesn't suit your needs...

--
Wayne Snyder SQL Server MVP
IKON Education Services, C*te, NC

Copying from SQL7 to SQL2k???

Post by Richard Hardake » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:23:35

You could also write a sql script to generate back and restore scripts.  A
SQL Server 7 dump can be loaded into SQL 2000.

.Richard

Quote:> Dear all,
> I have 2 servers, one on SQL7 and one on SQL2000.
> The SQL7 one is the old one while SQL2k is the new one.

> Apart from importing all the databases individually one
> by one using DTS manager is there another way of copying
> all the databases from one server to the other in one
> blow ???? I am only interested in Tables (and maybe
> queries)

> Any advice much appreciated
> Taipan

1. Copy database wizard SQL7 to SQL2k

I am copying a database from a NT4 SQL7 server to a W2K
SQL2K server (SP3). The Copy database wizard gives the
last succesful action as detaching the database, but it
has actually copied the .mdf between machines. Nothing
else appears to happen. Surely the only thing that has to
happen at this stage is to reattach the database to the
SQL 2K box? Any ideas what may have gone wrong and how I
recover from this. It has been about 90 min from the start
of the process and 60 min since the mdf file appeared.

Many thanks

Ian

2. oraenv description

3. Copy database Wizard error going from SQL7.0 to SQL2K

4. Authentication

5. Copy DB from SQL7 server to SQL7 desktop?

6. Concatenating bytes

7. COPY DATABASE SQL7.0 TO SQL7.0

8. DB_BLOCK_SIZE/RAID 5 for DEC ALPHA NT 4.0

9. Copy Database SQL7.0 to SQL7.0

10. Failed SQL7 to SQL2000 database copy using copy database wizard

11. Backup a SQL2K DB for SQL7 Restore

12. sql7 enterprise mngr and sql2K

13. designing tables in Access failing with sql2k but worked with sql7